One Fly over another

stan

I think I am going to open a can of worms on this question. Just trying to understand . What makes one fly more attractive to fish, over another ?

I myself have been using Grand Slam bucktails for a couple years. Now I have also added a number of Howie flies in my collection. With Spin doctor dodgers.

Please just looking for information not a battle, trying to understand from the west coast.

i would say that it is alot like any other lure. guys have their favorites and certain colors work better than others depending on species and depth. The major difference with flies is the attractor (flasher, dodger, etc) does the majority of the enticing.

Are you asking about different manufacturers?, different material types?, different color patterns or schemes?, if so maybe I can shed some light?

There are many variables concerning various fly manufacture, from wet/dry and other variations built across seas to American made product built in the states. All of which utilizes materials from synthetic properties to natural and literally everything in-between.

All intent is to coerce our prey to eat our offering, there are a multitude of options, best advice is too chat with locals in the area you wish to target and get some input on what the locals have already figured out !!

You mentioned Howie and Spin Doctors so I will assume your targeting game fish in your area in hopes to bring a similarity to the way we target our game fish of choice off the great lakes?

If that's the case here is some information for that art (that we have fine tuned to date) to enlighten you on a few of the variables we favor for targeting our preferred species the King Chinook Salmon.

Most input on this board is directly related to angling on Lake Ontario, we have already narrowed down a few popular materials we use on our lake to build our "trolling flies" of choice, you will find mostly materials made of mylars.

Some popular differences will consist of the following but are not limited to:

Manufacture variations

-Tying with thread and/or sealing with cement types

-Taping instead of tying with thread

-Affixing mylars with tubing or other

Rigging variations

-Mono or Fluor lines and lb. tests

-Different quality components (hooks ie.)

-Single and/or double snelled hooks (mixtures of treble's/singles)

Material differences

-You mentioned bucktails, bucktail has been used since the beginning of time and catches fish just great for certain presentations, not too popular relating to what we are talking about on Lake Ontario, it is hollow and very buoyant

-Twisted materials in hair-like widths (1/69") flashabou types

-Wider cut laminated films from 1/40" to 1/16" (probably most popular here, known as banded tinsel, but actually mostly PVC materials)

-Dyed mylar of sorts

How a fly is built, what it is made of and how it is rigged are all very important factors, again concerning Lake Ontario we currently have it somewhat already figured out, like Rich and Rob mentioned choosing color variations is all part of the last key to success just like choosing the attractor your running it with, with a multitude of options there as well the everyday angler is on a constant path to find the magic potion !!!

To simply answer your question of what type/brand fly is more attractive to a Salmon over another leaves a lot of info to be desired, as of the last 8 years since Howie flies were first introduced into our eastern basin of Lake Ontario a million and one options have been available. Seems like the 4" long variation of 1/28" cut (sometimes tied sparsely to sometimes rather full) that slides onto your leader (Howie type, A-TOM-MIK, etc.) with a few beads and a 22" or so leader of 50# test line trolled behind another multitude of attractors has been as closest to that answer as we have reached so far !!!

IMG_0005.jpg

Good luck with finding a better answer and if you do remember us here ok? LOL

Tom

Mr. A-Tom-mix

I have tried my hardest to give up 50 years of fishing experience, To learn the way the great lakes and finger lake guys fish. The great success you all have is accredited to the tackle you all use , the depth raider type instrument and the methods that they are delivered . Since I have started to buy the tackle and instruments of delivery , my fish count has come way up. This last year of sharing the new methods and tackle out here in California with others , has been a great joy.

I have been asked a number of times why this or that, so being a new guy myself . With a place to find the proper answers here on the LOU . I can answer the questions of others. Like I said I have been using the Grand Slam bucktails in salt and fresh water with success. Then some one out here introduced me to the Howie fly and Spin doctor. Most likely it was or is there fly of choice. But for me to get all corners of the box I need to try all the products in that line and be able to give a educated answer to those out here wanting the answers. I thank you for your honest views on this topic, and will make a copy of your answer to give to those who need it. Again thank lou, to all of you guys.

First off Raymond it's " Bob and I " and the shorts and saddle thing, That is another story.

But hey your welcome to come out here any time , and I will up for the lessons :D

Get your mind out of the gutter Stan. He said sandles, not saddle. :D You from brokeback mtn.?