Waterproofing windshield/bow junction

waterlogged

We need to replace the dashboard on our 19' aluminum BlueFin as it is beginning to deteriorate. You know small boat in to many heavy waters fishing for salmon and taking a lot of water over the bow.

My question is what product is recommended/should be used between the bottom of the windshield and the aluminum bow to seal the bottom to keep water from seepeing through? I thought I remembered some oiled or waxed braided cord that used to be used to seal in between things like that or between boards?

Any help on this one??

Thanks,

Clarke

My old Lund had the windshield mounted on a vinyl and sponge covered plywood deck. It came loose and springy. The wood rotted under the vinyl and the screws would not hold. Pull the plastic rim off the mounting screws and remove the windshield and the board. I used the old board for a pattern and cut out a new board. I coated the new board with 2 coats of West Marine epoxy and screwed the board back to the boat. You could replace the vinyl if you like it to look new. The remounted windshield was firmly reattached the new wood. It should last another ten years.

• 2 weeks later...