Honeoye Help

cam999

Well ive been down there three times with not a bite. I am new to this still trying to figure it all out...i have tried minnows from 8 fow out to 24fow. With tip ups inbetween with minnows and jigging inbetween with minnows. Any Helpful tips? Thanks

Cam99,

First off, Honeoye is one of the toughest lakes to fish. One day is hot and then the next day is horrible. A few seasons on Honeoye and you will be able to figure it out. I don't know what you are using but here is my walleye / bass set ups for Honeoye. I use 6' of Seagar Florocarbon with 1 small split shot 2 1/2' from the hook. I use Gamakatzu bleeding red size 8 trebles. Find 2 - 3" shiners from your local baitshop for the tip ups. Set your tip ups in 14 -17 FOW. We find that range to be most consistant. For jigging, very small bluegill jigs with waxworms in 6 - 10 FOW will get you some gills. As for jigging Walleye and bass, Perch colored Jigging raps, perch colored size 4 chubby darters, and silver and green swedish pimples tipped with a minnow head. Electronics like a Vexilar flasher or camera will help tremendously in Honeoye. I don't know where you are fishing but I would walk aways away from the areas hit really hard (Trident and the South end East and West sides). Setting up before first light is always a key for me for catching walleye. Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Hey thanks a lot man. As of now i just want to catch something doesnt matter to me. I would like to catch bass,perch,or gills. Not really into the eyes but to catch one would be nice. Im fishing just north of California Point. So sounds like bag the fatheads? And get a little bigger minnows? Its just frustrating going out there and not getting a bite. But thanks for your help I will probably be out this weekend and a lot next week because I dont have class. Thanks again.

I use golden shiners. I would bag the fatheads for sure. I fish a little North of you at my buddies house. You are in a great spot. Lots of panfish, walleye and bass. Do you fish weekdays? I have a couple weekdays off next week and I could meet you down there to show you the ropes.

I've been consistently pounding the bass on small jigging rapalas (perch color) in 17 fow. The key is to fish outside of the main weed growth, near where the weed "clumps" form in the deeper water. Jig using a long, 3' rise and steady fall...be ready at the bottom, cause that's where they'll hit. If I really want to find fish I don't bother with tip-ups or tip-downs. Just move. You'll catch fish in the first 10 minutes if they're around. This lake is absolutely polluted with 10-14" bass. Go 50 ft and try another hole. Using the camera, I've found that it's amazing the funnels that form through the weeds, like fish superhighways. Positioning is everything. And if you like tip-ups, listen to Gambler. The details of his rig sound simple, but make a big difference. Good luck!

Gator