3 ROD UPDATE

Had an interesting phone conversation. It appears that some members of the New York State Conservation Council board of directors are IN FAVOR of the 3 ROD RULE. :clap::clap::clap:

Just missed their big legislative meeting :(;(;( but there’s hope for the April resolutions meeting. :):):) Letter & copy of petition to be circulated.

http://www.nyscc.com

http://www.nyscc.com/memberlistingslink ... tions.html

http://www.nyscc.com/nysccofficers.html

Hopefully good things to come.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Tom, thank you for the update on this. I have seen the proposed license increase on another thread. As I have said before, I will pay whatever it takes for a NR license. Having said that, like Eric and a few others mentioned, it will be quite a hit for the non resident. Esp. the fact of a 1 day license going to $25.00. I use to take my daughters out on occasion and spring for the $15. But after a few hours they're done. Going to $25, just seems rather extreme I.M.O.. So there is lost revenues there. But if they would allow the 3 rod, that would be somewhat of a compromise, for use of a better term. For I do see it effecting the charter industry as well. Again, thanks for your involvement in this plus the update-Duane

I've been negligent in not following this thread all winter, but am I to assume that some form of this regulation is under proposal and would require some of the following items:

1.) Higher license price to allow 3 rods per person

2.) separate ammended license to allow 3 rods per person

If these are true then item number 2 is barking up the wrong tree... now this will require more enforcement to verify the extra tag, so more infringement on the fishing time of the 3 rod user and more taxpayer cost for enforcement in this time of scaling back of government agencies... it should remain with item one, charge more and it's the law, end of story.

Also, I agree, a 1 day tag for $25 is too steep, they will drastically reduce revenue rather than increase revenue as people will not pay that amount for one day.

Please correct me if my assumptions above are incorrect.

Thanks,

Hans

If in fact the above is true,and does happen,then it's the typical garbage,that bureaucrats are good for,and that is taking more money for doing the same amount of work.

How does allowing more rods equate into more work or extra money having to be collected?Is the state of NY going to have to hire more fish police to enforce this rule?I doubt it.

Is this just extortion for allowing more rods?.What does it matter if you're allowed to use one rod or five rods,or single hooks or treble hooks?.Why should that cause higher fees?

I'd have no complaints having to pay more for the right to fish in NY,as even at 40.00 for a non resident license,it's a pretty good deal.Many states charge almost as much for a resident license as NY charges for a non resident.

So if they raise the non resident fees,I wouldn't complain,but i would hope they don't try to say they have to raise them because they're letting us use three rods.

Hans, the 3 rod proposal has been on going for some time now. I don't want to cause any confusuion. I only rolled the proposed license fee increase as mentioned as a compromise, esp with the out of staters, such as myself and many others who post here. The 3 rod proposal would be for all who fish Lake Ontario. My point is trying to say that if they are going to enforce a $25.00 fee for someone who I take for 1 day as an example, that the extra few rods I could put into the spread may provide a fish whether it be for comsumption for even a trophy thus softening the blow of the additional expense for that particular individual. Again sort of a trade off.- I believe Tom has been the one who has brought the 3 rod proposal to the fore front. If not I apologize to those who did.

Big Easy, I said it before that I would pay whatever the out of state cost is to fish Lake Ontario. 3 rods allowed or not. However, I think they are going to raise rates no matter what they decide on the 3 rod proposal. Guess it would be a liitle easier to explain to someone for the first time, that they may pay the 25 for 1 day,( this is geared towards the charters esp.) but their chance of a hookup has increased as well with the extra rods being allowed. Thanks for your input

Duane

The three rod rule was first discussed here a couple weeks before the state announced the “tax crunch†or any of their revenue raising schemes. I first wrote to Ms Diana at the NYSDEC on 11/26/08 & to the Lake Ontario unit on 12/5/08. The On-Line petition was posted on 12/7/08. The Governor announced his tax plans, including a T&S stamp on the anniversary of the Boston Tea Party. (Which I believe was either the 17th or 18th of Dec)

The 3 ROD RULE says nothing about raising fees and I’m not aware that any of the tax schemes say anything about the 3 ROD RULE.

Please do a search on 3 ROD RULE for all the threads to further investigate. I think there may be 4 of them. Also, the petition site is listed in one of the “stickies.â€

It's my understanding (& I could be full of it) that the "one-day" license is going to be a thing of the past and replaced with a 3-day license.

In the thread I posted about the DEC Budget and where the proposed reductions are going to come from, I don't remember anything being cut or added regarding fishing enforcement. (IMO it's too thin now)

Tom B.

(LongLine)