Jump to content

Fish Hawk X2


Low Baller

Recommended Posts

Been chewing on this for a long time. Have always fished old school but think it's time. Pros and cons for this unit? I'm very tight on stern with 2 transducers 3' apart. Might be crowded for the X4. X4D is too much. I'm having trouble with the use of the X2 transducer. Like the portability, but don't know if it's worth the added aggravation. Have enough to do with hand cranks and dipseys. Thoughts and experience would be of great help. Thanks

 

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a decent unit. Works fine for speed and temp. I slide mine into my tracks (with the Traxtech mount) and then use a zip tie and clip to run the transducer cord along the boom arm. Then the cord only drags from that clip to where the transducer is attached to the rigger cable. It's more of a pain than having it hard mounted but if you really don't have the room it's not too bad to deal with. You'll figure out pretty quickly how to set it up best for you. Once I attach the ducer to the cable and clip the cord, there isn't anything else to do with it the rest of the day except occasionally shake the cord if it doesn't drop far enough down in the water. That's it.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Chowdaire said:

It's a decent unit. Works fine for speed and temp. I slide mine into my tracks (with the Traxtech mount) and then use a zip tie and clip to run the transducer cord along the boom arm. Then the cord only drags from that clip to where the transducer is attached to the rigger cable. It's more of a pain than having it hard mounted but if you really don't have the room it's not too bad to deal with. You'll figure out pretty quickly how to set it up best for you. Once I attach the ducer to the cable and clip the cord, there isn't anything else to do with it the rest of the day except occasionally shake the cord if it doesn't drop far enough down in the water. That's it.

 

 

I have an X4D so really  I'm only asking out of curiosity.  How deep have you found that transducer to work?  Any limitations?  There was a time when I was in @Low Baller shoes and was just winging it without a probe but I'm curious if that smaller transducer pushes enough power to get to lets say 100ft or so.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Fat Trout said:

I have an X4D so really  I'm only asking out of curiosity.  How deep have you found that transducer to work?  Any limitations?  There was a time when I was in @Low Baller shoes and was just winging it without a probe but I'm curious if that smaller transducer pushes enough power to get to lets say 100ft or so.  

 

I've had it out on 130' of cable and it still reads. The numbers will sometimes jump around a bit, not sure exactly why that is, but when they settle I seem get a good reading.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Chowdaire said:

 

I've had it out on 130' of cable and it still reads. The numbers will sometimes jump around a bit, not sure exactly why that is, but when they settle I seem get a good reading.

Tks for the reply.  Jumping happens a little on my X4D when its really deep I don't mind it because you generally know what's crap and whats the real number so your getting what you need.  Your dealing with a depth, blowback and random interference.  Blow back in the case of the X2 is because the cable isn't a straight line, rather its a bow so the deeper you go the transducer on the cable is probably pointing to the rear of the probe more.    Sounds cool though.  If you can touch 100ft + with that thing thats great.  Pricey but I can understand the transom/transducer issue for mounting.  I also can't believe what the X4 and X4D have gotten to for price these days either.   

Edited by Fat Trout
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seems to me they have the best candy right now. Like phones and tv's. I'll spend 650 and they'll be 250 next yr when someone gives them competition. I'm ready to pull the trigger, but my gut is saying spend another 100 and get the x4. I read that they'll get feedback from other sonar if too close. It's the mobility that's intriguing. I can take it on my friends boat for Musky and Walleye.
Thanks for the imput folks.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tks for the reply.  Jumping happens a little on my X4D when its really deep I don't mind it because you generally know what's crap and whats the real number so your getting what you need.  Your dealing with a depth, blowback and random interference.  Blow back in the case of the X2 is because the cable isn't a straight line, rather its a bow so the deeper you go the transducer on the cable is probably pointing to the rear of the probe more.    Sounds cool though.  If you can touch 100ft + with that thing thats great.  Pricey but I can understand the transom/transducer issue for mounting.  I also can't believe what the X4 and X4D have gotten to for price these days either.   
My biggest handicap is down speed. I have a TD probe that I'll stop every 20' of depth and take a reading. I set one fish finder angled for blow back to watch balls, and the 2nd is set on higher sensitivity for thermocline. The X2 transducer clips on the rigger cable so in theory would follow the degree of angle to the probe. Alot of variables there. I only have 150' on the cannon riggers with 8 lb balls. If I have to go below 130 ft forget it. At 2.5 there can be 5 to 10 ft variable to actual depth. I'm just thinking out loud.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Low Baller said:

My biggest handicap is down speed. I have a TD probe that I'll stop every 20' of depth and take a reading. I set one fish finder angled for blow back to watch balls, and the 2nd is set on higher sensitivity for thermocline. The X2 transducer clips on the rigger cable so in theory would follow the degree of angle to the probe. Alot of variables there. I only have 150' on the cannon riggers with 8 lb balls. If I have to go below 130 ft forget it. At 2.5 there can be 5 to 10 ft variable to actual depth. I'm just thinking out loud.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app
 

It doesn't sound bad (x2 that is).  In all honesty I have my fixed X4d transducer right next to my lowrance HDS total scan transducer (within 6" of each other) and no issue with 83khz or 200khz or medium chirp operation.  I understand the Fish hawk operates at 70khz.  I don't see prices getting cheaper (unfortunately).  If you can run 10lb balls it would help.  At 2.5 your blowback with could be 25 ft of depth @ 100 ft believe it or not esp with 8lb balls  don't change your game, just some data for you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It doesn't sound bad (x2 that is).  In all honesty I have my fixed X4d transducer right next to my lowrance HDS total scan transducer (within 6" of each other) and no issue with 83khz or 200khz or medium chirp operation.  I understand the Fish hawk operates at 70khz.  I don't see prices getting cheaper (unfortunately).  If you can run 10lb balls it would help.  At 2.5 your blowback with could be 25 ft of depth @ 100 ft believe it or not esp with 8lb balls  don't change your game, just some data for you
Lol, I stand corrected, these riggers do have 10 lb. My 1st lake troll came with 8. When I'm running at 100 ft the sonar shows contrails at 90 or a little over. Does that sound accurate. I'm over thinking I'm sure

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Low Baller said:

Lol, I stand corrected, these riggers do have 10 lb. My 1st lake troll came with 8. When I'm running at 100 ft the sonar shows contrails at 90 or a little over. Does that sound accurate. I'm over thinking I'm sure

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app
 

We all overthink lol.  My downrigger balls on my sonar appear higher than they really are, not a ton but a good 5 ft I'd say.  With 10#ers its definitely better but they will vary more than heavier and especially when you are going with a current and need to boost top speed to make down speed where you want it.   knowing you are going with a current is exactly why the X2 would be a benefit.  If I'm fishing to fish on bottom I'm not afraid to put the cable out at bottom depth on the chart. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sometimes bouncing off folks in the same game is just the self reassurance we need. I'm a low budget baller, but the dominant factor is fish bite when they want. Wife told me to shut up and buy the stupid thing. Lol

We all overthink lol.  My downrigger balls on my sonar appear higher than they really are, not a ton but a good 5 ft I'd say.  With 10#ers its definitely better but they will vary more than heavier and especially when you are going with a current and need to boost top speed to make down speed where you want it.   knowing you are going with a current is exactly why the X2 would be a benefit.  If I'm fishing to fish on bottom I'm not afraid to put the cable out at bottom depth on the chart. 


Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got the X2 this year, and it works great. If your running that 10 pound ball, make sure you mount the unit where you have enough cable to keep the transducer in the water because of the blow back. I run 15 pounders, and have it pop out of the water every once in a while.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Lake Ontario United mobile app


I ordered the unit, should have it Monday. Being lower to the water line than most I'll have to play with it. I was going to use a break away between ball and probe. I use blacks releases. I'll have to tweek it. Thanks for the intel.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Received the X2 yesterday, just hooked it up. I gotta say they are some ingenious folks at fish hawk. Did a bucket test, seems ok, just have to tweek the transducer cable upon deployment. I'm using the breakaway that was sent with unit and added a heavy snap swivel to the release to add a couple inches between probe and release. Any other suggestions?
Thanks again for the feedback. 20200818_123221.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...