Spoon and stick bait tuning for early Browns?

So I have tuned most of my spoons with a little more 'S" curve to them and they seem to take more fish than another of the same size and color.   Was wondering does anyone have more success ( or not noticeable ? )  with tuning a smithwick or stick bait ?  Taking the closest set of hooks near the head OFF.  Then adding aditional ring to that.  Supposedly gets better action?     Thoughts?   Just reading some things from  Ernie Lantiegne .    Adding just one Sewash hook to a spoon , taking off the trebble.  That's another thing I have not done yet.   I mean all the major companies catch fish with NO tuning, right?  SO why bother?  He says it will take more large fish.   IDK.  

• 2 weeks later...

About the only atickbaits that come out of the box and run straight are Rapala  . And even those can go out of tune after a fish or two . 

When I ran a lot of stickbaits , I was anal about tuning them . If you bend the nose down , they don't dive as deep as have a wider wobble . 

Go somewhere when it's calm and tune your baits . I use to do it in my mother's swimming pool . I don't think she liked it very much , but it worked . 

Some baits we tune, some we run them right out of the box.  I don't run a ton of stickbaits for browns except early in the season for the first few weeks (my boat goes is usually 2nd or 3rd week in April).  Usually by 3rd week in May my stickbaits go away but if you get cold water moving back in I will bring them back out.   Smithwicks we remove the front hook - I also replace the stock hooks and split rings because the ones of the box are prone to failure.  3 hooks on a stickbait will turn your brown trout into a giant spinner more times than not.   Rapalas as mentioned I don't touch, also love running Dave's Kabooms but they sometimes need to be tuned a little.  Again hooks get replaced on these - rings are ok. 

Stingers, DW superslims, and NK Dimple-lites (if you can still find any) will all take piles of BTs right out of the box.  Flutter spoons often need to be tuned for speeds you are running.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

There is an article on the Great lakes Angler site about tuning stick baits the same way you are mentioning with removing the front hook, adding another split ring and possibly changing one of the hooks to a larger one. This is on a 3 hook bait. i have done this to some of my baits, not sure if it makes any difference though.

• Like 1