Musky Gear Question

I was considering gearing up for musky this summer and was wondering what a good all around size line would be, I use 14 pound test for pike would this be sufficient for musky as well or do I need to go bigger? Also is a bait caster the way to go or is a spinning set up ok? Thanks for any help.

I hope everyone is getting as excited as I am for May 03, I really cant wait, I've been literally dreaming of fish a few times a week. Anyway everyone have a great week and I hope all is well. God Bless

Waylander

WTG...I use some heavy duty stuff. I have an abu garcia bait caster heavy action 6 1/2 ft rod, spooled with 85 lb power pro. Instead of a steel leader I use 50 lb mono with a beefy snap swivel. My musky fishing has been in the Niagara river jigging big baits off the bottom. You really need the heavier stuff to pull your bait out of snags. For trolling in the Late Late Fall I tend to use my salmon stuff with titanium leaders...Good luck chasing the Essox

I prefer 50-60#powerpro for casting on round style baitcaster w/7'6-8'hvy rod.Troll with 65#pwrpro and actually run 2rods with 20#gamma and spiderwire supermono(1ea)Magda20 linecounter reels 7'hvy ugly stik..80#floro for leader-mon rods i run the most trolling and have yet to have a problem,works great.Good luck

Bob

I use 60 lb braid on the casting reel and 40 on my trolling rods. both get 80-100 lb flouro leaders.

casting is best, but spinning gear will work ok if you use a large model reel and dont try thowing a hard pulling bait like a double cow girl.