4 minutes ago, SHOOTER544 said:

so what good does the probe do me for speed when to get to 2.1mph down 80' and i have to do a surface speed of 4.7mph to get there(2.1mph) when surface speed is so much higher the cables angle back causing an in accurate read?and im using 15lb weights.

There are times I have had to go 4+ mph surface to catch fish . 

I could not care less about SOG or surface speed . Do yourself a favor and turn the surface and SOG off . Trust your probe for deep water fish . Vary the speed and duplicate it on the strike . It's as simple as that . 

If the fish are shallow , my probe doesn't go out for fear of loosing it and I use my surface speed on my depth finder . 

Down speed is the way to go.  But you have to watch your cable angle.  If the angle is too great, your lure is traveling much faster than the probe says it is.  If you have to go 4.7 to get 2.1 down, I'd suggest you slow down and try zig-zaging your trolling path & see what happens to both down speed & cable angle.  

If you are using 15 lb weights your probe is probably running true. Altho with blow back it is probably only running 70 ft instead of 80. (Strictly a guess).  Having to run 4.7 to maintain 2.1 is pretty common.  I've actually had to almost max out my 9.9 kicker to maintain 2.5.  There are just too many variables to lock this down to one scenario.  Current, waves and wind throw too many curveballs.  Adjust your speed frequently and keep an eye on your downspeed.  When u catch a fish. Note what the down speed was and then duplicate that.

• Like 1