Jump to content

Fertile Lady


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Here is an event from 2013. This is before the two bad winters that followed. The lake was super warm and we were complaining we needed more kings stocked due to all the bait we were seeing. It took time,  warm summers, and some easy winters to get the lake closer to the way it was before the harsh ‘14-‘15 winter reset. Hopefully good things to come with bait levels. 
 

 

BCD4AAC4-1979-4E91-933C-2942B4494957.jpeg

Edited by Gill-T
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/14/2022 at 3:05 PM, Gill-T said:

Proof the Lake Ontario IS NOT in decline. Notice whiting event. 
 

 

4AD6F643-30EB-41BB-BE6F-AF341051418C.jpeg

Thats interesting.  I was fishing last weekend off of the south dunes (north of the salmon river).  Thats right where that plume seems to start  to the right.  I fished pre-zebra mussels and of course after.  Pre zebra was chalky water...after we all know....hyper clear.  Last weekend I was in 150 ft of water which east is a good 4 to 5 miles out.  Water was chalky as hell.  I couldn't place the reason but I recognized it.   It changes color patterns etc.   I went west 10 miles toward oswego the next day and zebra clear like usual.  I'm out of mexico.

Edited by Fat Trout
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Either plankton or Calcium.  The water would need to be sampled to tell for sure but the veils appear to have a green cast not white. There has been lots of  upwellings this year. I can’t remember a year when I could fish as high in the water column during the heat of summer so it might be fueling calcium from marl off the bottom but we also have had warm weather so maybe plankton?  Calling Dr Weidel …….calling Dr Weidel….

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Gill-T said:

Either plankton or Calcium.  The water would need to be sampled to tell for sure but the veils appear to have a green cast not white. There has been lots of  upwellings this year. I can’t remember a year when I could fish as high in the water column during the heat of summer so it might be fueling calcium from marl off the bottom but we also have had warm weather so maybe plankton?  Calling Dr Weidel …….calling Dr Weidel….

Water had a very green cast to it.  It was sunny so you can tell quite a bit more.  You can get that with passing sun and clouds but the noticeable difference is when you send a downrigger ball down and you loose it in < 10 feet.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seasonal timing would suggest whiting, but whiting events are often associated with increased phytoplankton, so some of both likely.

 

More info here if interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiting

 

From what I understand, in LO events are associated with blooms of picoplankton, which in turn naturally increases the pH to such a point that calcites precipitates out of the water and onto the plankton cells.   

 

I read a paper that suggested mussels reduced whiting simply by lowering the lake's calcium carbonate concentration as opposed to filtering...although filtering likely has some effect as well.

 

Just looked at this paper that I think suggests diatoms are a nucleation source

https://eartharxiv.org/repository/view/2335/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, schreckstoff said:

Seasonal timing would suggest whiting, but whiting events are often associated with increased phytoplankton, so some of both likely.

 

More info here if interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiting

 

From what I understand, in LO events are associated with blooms of picoplankton, which in turn naturally increases the pH to such a point that calcites precipitates out of the water and onto the plankton cells.   

 

I read a paper that suggested mussels reduced whiting simply by lowering the lake's calcium carbonate concentration as opposed to filtering...although filtering likely has some effect as well.

 

Just looked at this paper that I think suggests diatoms are a nucleation source

https://eartharxiv.org/repository/view/2335/

 

Our raw water pH was high last week when the intake temp was 78 degrees.  It was a pH of 8.38

Edited by GAMBLER
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Adult LT survey, gillnetting. You should see the USGS boat (Kaho) and DEC boat (Seth Green) out and about. Remember to watch out for the buoys if you are trolling. 
 

Gambler, that’s fricken cool that you have such good eye on the water! (And that my limnology blathering might have been close). Does  pH timeseries go back in time like the temperature data does 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, schreckstoff said:

Adult LT survey, gillnetting. You should see the USGS boat (Kaho) and DEC boat (Seth Green) out and about. Remember to watch out for the buoys if you are trolling. 
 

Gambler, that’s fricken cool that you have such good eye on the water! (And that my limnology blathering might have been close). Does  pH timeseries go back in time like the temperature data does 

 

 

Yes sir!  We are have to retain data for the DEC and the Feds.  We have duplicates at both plants and the pH, turbidity, temp and other data is taken every day (multiple times a day) by our lab staff and operators to verify our equipment.   Any gill nets off Wautoma?  I will be fishing that stretch Saturday for stagers and will look out for them if they are.  Here is our intake temp over the last week.  The lowest it got is 46 degrees.  When we get a total upwelling, we usually see 39-41 degrees coming into the plant.  Before last Saturday, our intake temp was 77-78 degrees for a couple of weeks without changing.  

image.thumb.png.9bae19d3db4677c071a615a6d0e89944.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, GAMBLER said:

Here is our intake temp over the last week.

Is there anyplace on-line to get the real time temperature of the intake water temp? The marine zone forecast seems to be updated about once a day, and I'd be interested in more frequent info.......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Traveling Circus said:

Is there anyplace on-line to get the real time temperature of the intake water temp? The marine zone forecast seems to be updated about once a day, and I'd be interested in more frequent info.......

It is in the Democrat and Chronicle daily and it is given to the National Weather service every morning at 7:30 am.  I am not sure if the National Weather Service publishes the temp on their website or not.  The Democrat and Chronicle data is 24 hours old.  If you ever need it, feel free to pm me and I can get you in the live temp if I'm at work.  It is nice to know so you have a round about starting point in the morning!  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...