Yamaha 150 - 9.9 steering linkage issue/concerns FM196

Netbender

Good Day, new FM196 love the boat, but am asking some guidance and info on the steering. Please see below:

Should the bolt on the steering linkage be loose in order to operate properly? I had binding more than I expected, tie wrapped some of the feed lines loosely and will give it a test run tomorrow. This bolt seems to allow play in the linkage for the control arm. When the kicker is raised to high it scrapes the splash well.

Thanks for taking a minute and responding.

Dave

IMG_2468.jpg

Edited by Netbender aka-Superhawk18

I think this bolt should be tightened. The silver linkage with the holes shouldn't be able to swivel with respect to the motor.

Also You should be able to use another one of the holes on the linkage to shorten up so it doesn't hit the splash well. 

Tomorrow I will take a picture of mine, which is a 250 yamaha linked to a 9.9 Yamaha. 

Looks like a Panther Marine steering kit.  If it was mine on a new boat, I would be talking with the rigger.  IMO the bolts for the steering adapter on the kicker should be tight.  When I’ve used Panther mounts I put the ball stud on the top to give more splash well clearance and also take rod off when not trolling so I ratchet strap kicker when in travel position.  Looks like you have auxiliary controls which make install tight and complicates steering linkage.  I wouldn’t be happy with the scratches in the splash well.  I’d be looking to run rod different even if it meant fabricating a new mount rather than the universal one in the kit.

All good ideas. Thanks Rodbuster for the pics, yes they look like different manufacturers. mr580, you are correct, I am not happy about any of it. I will spend more time with it starting Thursday. What can be done about the scratches at this point? Dealer is saying the kicker was trimmed up to much. Yea, well. I will tighten all the linkage and see if I can put the ball stud on top. Really not something I should have to do n a new rig.

I saw right away with mine that tilting the 9.9 up all the way created stresses on cables etc so i just dont do it. I have a similar if not same setup.  Although the linksge doestlnt hit the splashwell tilted full up.   I tilt it just enough to keep it out of the water running and thats it.  When ttrailering i have it nearly all the way down since clearance is fine and thats the least stress on the transom regardless of the linkage.  

Doesn’t seem like you should have to be tinkering around with a new boat setup.  I took delivery on a new boat last year and the dealer had me meet with them to do service write up on rigging, and then when  I took delivery sales manager went over boat with me from one end to the other.  I do most of my own rigging especially electronics but had them do on board charger, transom transducer mount, and kicker setup.  The dealer sold a pretty good number of fishing boats and it showed in how they did rigging and delivery.  Hope you get the bugs worked out so you enjoy the outfit.

Thanks guys for the information, this is helpful. I will be at the boat tomorrow afternoon and will be giving this a thorough looking over. I may send out a few more additional questions at that point. Thanks again for your support and guidance.

Dave