I have no idea why guys think they can be used for long shots. Is it because they are classified as a muzzleloader? I'm not sure. After buying one and shooting it before hunting with it, i figured out really quick that you need to treat it as a bow. Unfortunately, there are people that will go buy one and not be responsible.
Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
Let me start by saying I use a crossbow in the woods. Crossbows need to be treated the same as a bow when shooting a deer. Guys that think long shots are ok to take are irresponsible! You can hit a bullseye at 75 yards no problem with them but there are too many variables in the woods. You should not be taking shots any further with a crossbow than you do with a compound. Deer still jump the string due to the fact they are loud when they go off. Don't punish the crossbow hunters that are responsible and only take responsible shots.
Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
Most of the deer I shot with them dropped but the two that I shot with them that ran, I was lucky they dropped in eye sight. Tracking would have been difficult!
I used to use powerbelts. They flew fine for me but they fragmented and did not mushroom out at all. I also found very little blood if the deer took another step.
With my new Muzzleloader, I use Blackhorn 209 powder with Hornaday STX 45 caliber 250 grain bullets with MMP sabots. Amazing grouping at 100 yds with that combo. Make sure you can shoot Blackhorn out of your muzzleloader before buying it. I had to buy a modified breech plug to shoot it out of my CVA Accura V2. If you do not have a modified breech plug, you may get hang fires.