Jump to content

GAMBLER

Professional
  • Posts

    9,908
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by GAMBLER

  1. Poor conditions or not, this shows we can not depend on natural reproduction!
  2. Is this the states way of getting out of king stocking? Let the Feds do the stocking of natural species? If the system could handle 300,000 more lakers, how come we did not get an increase in kings a couple seasons ago? The USGS said the lakers were eating a lot more gobies. It is funny that I only have 5 gobies spit up on the floor of my boat this summer. Mostly alewives and smelt were spit up.
  3. You are correct and I hope to god we are all wrong! Even with the low king catch rate Lake wide, there is still we too much bait. The issues with caledonia and a second hatchery do need to be addressed.
  4. Thirty years must not count unless you are over the hill! Just because a few of us are still in out thirties or forties, does not mean we do not have years of experience. I grew up fishing Lake Ontario with my father and working on a couple charters over the years. I have seen the ups and downs of Lake Ontario. It has been a long time since we have had king fishing this bad.
  5. The Caledonia issue was talked about at the State of the Lake meetings and they will not do it because of VHS disease. I mentioned Powder Mill but they said it was a private hatchery. Why not contract out raising Kings at Powder Mill and move the browns they raise to Caledonia? I would be more than willing to donate time to volunteer to help with the project. We could also raise $ from West end tournies to support the Hatchery and projects. The second hatchery issues was talked about to and they did not have many answers.
  6. Put it up as a project boat for free in the classifieds section Matt.
  7. How are you going to keep someone from bringing in fish from out of state? Sounds pretty easy to go to quinte and win the walleye division!
  8. Only one left. $40.00 pick up in Hilton/Greece or shipped to the lower 48 for $45.00
  9. The bait population is growing fast. The past two season I have seen a ton of bait compared to years past. I can't remember the last time we saw tons of bait schools with NO fish on them. The past two seasons that is becoming the norm. Last August we trolled from 120' out to 550' off of sandy and marked bait the entire way in and out. This spring, inside of 200' of water off of sandy it was solid bait. Take a look at Yankee trollers post from the Canadian tourney he fished. He posted pics of the fish finder. Miles of bait! Is the state of the lake meeting info on the bait population really accurate? I'm beginning to think it is not!
  10. I say can the lake trout increase and increase a more controllable species in increments over four year periods. See how the bait and kings react to the increases. I believe stocking 300,000 more laker that can live up to 30 years is being a little on the careless side.
  11. You crack me up Scott. King Davy, careful converting the Yankee Troller to fly fishing. The oak does not need a Yankee Swinger running around. Lol!
  12. He plays with his fly but it has nothing to do with fly fishing!
  13. I did not read one post that showed one side saying the other was at fault for the low king numbers.
  14. Hilton ny. Only one left. Meeting a l.o.u member tomorrow for one of the two.
  15. If this is directed at me, I just stated a simple little fact. Trib guys want to piss and moan about charter captains keeping too many fish yet they do not participate in the pen projects as much as lake guys.
  16. Use roller rods and you will have no issues with cracked guides! I use Malin wire. I used torpedo wire and mason in the past and came back to Malin. The mason was too stiff (linked easier) and the torpedo wire was untwisting.
  17. Since when have they increased stocking due to mortality? Lakers have been shorted a couple times and no increase the following year? They did add some extra kings due to the coho issue.
  18. I'm all for them getting data but fin clipping and nose tagging lessens their chance for survival and stresses them. The DEC employee that delivered the fish to our pen project told me the kings will stop feeding for days after being clipped and tagged. He said the fish were bigger this year because they did not go through the stress of the marking trailer.
  19. The captains are just trying to survive! A good percentage of captains do this as a job not a hobby. I have no problems with captains targeting a certain species to survive. The trout have been left alone for the previous four seasons for the most part. As for the steelhead, the population is high and only a couple ports are having success fishing them. East of the oak, the steelhead are being left alone.
  20. The automatic feeders would be good but there is no reason why us fishermen (lake or trib) can not do it. Since this a volunteer project, we would have to find somewhere to store the feeders. Not always the easier thing to do.
  21. Don't take rays advise. You will not get an answer or a call back. Narby's in oak orchard has some nk's. As for captains cove, they do not have much other than DW spoons and some flashers.
  22. Everyone has to work but we all find time to fish. Not a good excuse by any means. If we all sit back and let the dec do the work, they will do what cheapest and easiest for them.
  23. I tend to disagree with this statement. Sandy, Olcott and the oak pen projects were all here on this site. People tend to have the attitude that someone else will do it.
  24. I would also like to see more trib guys volunteering in these pen rearing projects! These projects benefit all of us and most of the leg work is done by the lake guys.
×
×
  • Create New...