Jump to content

GAMBLER

Professional
  • Posts

    9,908
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by GAMBLER

  1. The addition of 300,000 lakers is being implemented to try to help out natural reproduction. I'm a big lake trout fan but I'm against stocking more. Over the last four seasons, my catch rate per hour is climbing. There is not shortage of lakers at all. The more lakers around, the harder it is to find bigger ones. Since 2011, my catch rate per hour has gone up significantly and we are having to weed through more smaller ones to find big ones. It is harder to get the big ones when the little ones are keeping your rods out of the water. I agree with Yankee 100% about the lakers living to long to increase their numbers. This could be detrimental to the fishery if we have bait issues. Hopefully that does not happen!
  2. Good post Chris. I find bringing them up slow (not too slow) will increase their survival chances. The really little guys get unhooked at the back of the boat if they are not full of air. The cowbells do a good job of letting them come up slowly most of the times unless they are horsed in.
  3. .7 to 1.7 is my down speed. Over 1.8, the cowbells thump really hard and the catch rate goes down. Also I find more big fish like the slower end of the speeds I listed.
  4. Flat fish and Kwikfish work but you can not hit bottom or they will pick up zebra muscles. Lakers like whites, glows, silvers and sometimes wacky colors like all pink.
  5. Lakers are not line shy! I run 30lb bright green big game. If cowbells do not scare them, line will not. I also in 30lb seagar for my spin n glow rigs.
  6. I say mid thirties at best. We will see.
  7. It is sad that the majority of the guys that fish these kings can spend hours on the water but can't give 20 minutes of their time to give back.
  8. You can give back by donating time to the Pen Rearing projects or simply cleaning up the public fishing access spots. It suprised me this spring how many guys DO NOT help out in the pen rearing projects. I ran the schedule for the Sandy Creek pen project and could not believe how hard it was to get people to give 20 minutes of their time to feed the fish that they will be beating up in the future. Most of the people that volunteered were the same names and some did not even fish trout and salmon. Without volunteers and certain clubs, where would the fishery be?
  9. This just goes to show without stocking of kings, natural reproduction will not always fill the void. I like fishing kings as much as the next guy but I just want to catch fish. You also have to do what you have to do to place in derbies. Do you guys enter derbies and tournies to finish middle of the pack or out of the money? I would hope not.
  10. When in doubt, fish trout. My king numbers are way down this year but I have filled the void with trout. When the lake gives you lemons, make lemonaide. Be thankful we have the bonus world class trout fishery to back up a world class Salmon fishery.
  11. Not sure. They are the older low profile bases.
  12. I have two used cannon swivel bases for sale. $80.00 for both. I will ship to the lower 48 for $10.00 additional.
  13. Lakers are very reliable. Catching them is easy if it is done right. I would widen the depth zone from 80 - 220 on the bottom. Look for hooks laying on the bottom. If you see one, most of the time there are a ton with them. There will be certain depths that hold them in good numbers. Do some looking around by trolling inside waters before setting up a laker program. It will save you a lot of time.
  14. [email protected] is his email. We all have a little OCD! Just look in any of our cuddy cabins!
  15. I have it emailed to me by ed rancher every day. I will put up his email. Just email him and tell him you want to be on the mailing list.
  16. Look on Page 4 of this section near the bottom. Jim Piano is selling an 88 27' Amberjack.
  17. I have been running Lowrance for years and will not change until I have issues. They have been rock solid for years.
  18. Got a radio? Guys will be more than willing to give you that info if you ask on the radio. If you are out Sunday, call me. My boat name is escape.
  19. If they are twisting up, you are letting them out too fast. Let it creep out slowly with the drag instead of free spooling it out.
  20. The Valero on Lake Ave at Denise Rd has 91. I heard Delta Sonic is carring 89 ethynal free.
×
×
  • Create New...