Blood Run Sea Flee or Tournament 25lb as backer. 30’-35’ long Seaguar Fluorocarbon leaders. Leaders are 15-25lb test.
Similar to what Legacy said for flasher/fly cut bait, I run just the backer no leader.
Spring rods are spooled with 15lb Big Game backer with 30’-35’ 12lb Seaguar leaders.
Seems to work well for me.
Welcome Nick! Your grandfather was a great man. He shared several of his tactics with me over the years. The Advocate still sits dry docked at Lake Ontario Marine. Brings back fond memories every time I see her.
I really liked the Blood Run 27lb lead core but it does not appear to be available anymore. I still have on several of my setups but have been replacing with the Fish USA Stealthcore as necessary. It seems to perform just as well.
Greg, here is what I have used in the past for attaching Mylar to bullet heads and meatheads.
works great.
Fastcap- Speedtape
I can get you some locally if need be.
I would focus more on construction type vs. age.
A boat built with composite stringers and transom can give you peace of mind when looking at a boat with some years on her.
Several manufacturers began building with composite materials in the late 90’s. Aquasport, Pro-Line, HydraSports to name a few.
Older wood construction boats can show well but it’s what you cannot see that comes back to bite you.
Always get a survey.
Here is what I have been using. The older ones used to have a yellow tube on the clip. They have eliminated that over the years.
https://www.fishusa.com/Outdoor-Scene-Planer-Board-Releases/
I have 4 Okuma 30 size reels for my wire rods.
2 have 1000’ 30lb Blood Run wire with 350’ of 50lb braid backer.
2 have 1000’ AFW 30lb wire with 300’ of 65lb braid backer.
I take notes on what spool up for each rod so I don’t have to guess every time I fill a reel.