Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. You might want to scuff up the existing paint slightly with something like Scotchbright though so the new will adhere properly. Just enough to dull the existing finish.
  2. Good advice and always good to be on the safe side.
  3. The Whaler is probably the safest boat but the Parker is in a class all by itself and it would be my choice out of all of them. They hold up well, have a lot of open space in the back, cut through the water beautifully, have a first class cabin/hardtop and on and on. On the downside they are expensive and you seldom see used ones for sale For 20-30 grand you'd probably be looking at one with some age. I wouldn't worry about the hull on either the Whaler or the Parker but older engines are the question mark.
  4. Great post Bill and hats off to Justin. Those fillets look wonderful Bill....I'm salivating. I ate my last eye a couple weeks ago... just perch left now but that isn't too terrible a problem I guess
  5. Just not sure if there is a difference maybe not. Good luck with it.
  6. I'm not a lawyer but it shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't name your jigs or business something like Mustad Jigs. The brand name is registered but the product itself can be used as a component in other products when you legitimately buy the hooks retail at least not sure about wholesale.
  7. Sk8man

    Sold / Closed Proline 230 WA $6,500

    You're very welcome. Best of luck with the sale. I've had a couple freinds with that same model boat and they fished very well.
  8. Sk8man

    Sold / Closed Proline 230 WA $6,500

  9. Nice report John.....you even got Fishstix excited
  10. OR
  11. I have 4 riggers but only run the 4 about ten percent of the time and that is usually in the Spring while in shallower water where i wouldn't be running divers or Seth Greens. I figure the more weights in the water the more turbulence and chance of spooking fish. Even when running four most of the action comes on one or two riggers so I figure maybe that is telling me something
  12. Glenn as I mentioned in my earlier post if you select the right 9.8 or 9 (one without all the frills but electric start) it may be about 90 lbs. Obviously you are free to do whatever you wish but in my own experience at least it could be a mistake getting a lower horsepower motor. Even on my 13 ft Whaler I initially had a 4 hp Evinrude and found that it was insufficient to get me back in when the high wind/waves came up. Most emergency uses happen when you least expect it so selection with that in mind you may wish to reconsider rather than being sorry later and having to get a larger kicker as I did. My 9.8 electric start Tohatsu weighs about 90 lbs. and will push my 3500 lb boat about 8 mph full tilt with more torque than my old two stroke 9.9 had Getting the right (sturdy) bracket and right length shaft are critical to performance however. By the way I use an electric trolling motor extension handle on the kicker to control the throttle and to make occasional adjustments to steering which I do with the main 135 hp motor because I sometime fish solo and don't use an autopilot. I am also able to steer with my main motor without a connection rod most of the time.
  13. I'm wondering if air might have gotten into our systems and is affecting things.
  14. I have recently had a similar problem with my Seastar hydraulic system when not trolling and underway at speed. I will be interested in any info folks might shed on the problem. I do think the little fin on the underside of the motor lower unit may to be adjusted or re-positioned sometimes so that MAY have something to do with it but I'm nor sure.
  15. Welcome to LOU Kurt and best of luck fishing out there.
  16. Familiar looking rod and reel Johnny
  17. One of the questions I have is why aren't the bunches dead ones that supposedly die after spawning in the streams ever seen or reported
  18. You earned him Stan with the wind etc. Congrats on the 4th place.
  19. Sk8man

    Sold / Closed Owasco Sunday FLTA

    Nice going and congrats on the win Anthony
  20. Or if you are close to a stream that has oak trees near it place a soaked straw or hay bale in an eddy braced so it doesn't float or roll away. Thye will hang up in the bale and you can get hundreds that way. Thye can be hard to keep though and have to be kept moist or they can disappear
  21. PM it to Pete Colin on here he can tell you for sure
  22. I think Bill is right... a lot of folks want to avoid storing over the winter and want to get the full season use right from the buy but the price seems fair and it looks like a good buy for someone so to continue lowering the price may not be the best answer so I'd assess that carefully as you go along. Hopefully someone will see this as a good opportunity to get into a boat and there is still a lot of time to try it out and use it. sometimes we can overly rely on the Internet and placing the boat out where it can be seen by folks traveling by (even at a friends or neighbors if they have a better location and are willing) can be productive.
  23. A ten color 27 lb leadcore will fit the Magda Pro DX45 with about 300 yds of 30 lb Power Pro braid. A 300 copper with about 300 yds of 30 lb Power Pro will also fit. They both will be at max capacity which is good in one sense as it allows the line counter to be more accurate but you won't have room for a real long leader. It can help to put on about 275 yds of backing to free up a little space. I mentioned Power Pro specifically because some braid is coarser or larger diameter and also as you go up in lb test you can get less on there.
  24. This is what I have used for years on mine. My buddy was a VP at Yamaha and turned me on to them years ago. I had never heard of them https://www.amazon.com/T-H-Marine-MSS-1-DP-Outboard-Support/dp/B001F0IJQ6/ref=asc_df_B001F0IJQ6?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80195681205796&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583795269760232&psc=1
×
×
  • Create New...