-
Posts
13,929 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by Sk8man
-
Setting up for a copper rig
Sk8man replied to Frogger's topic in Questions About Trout & Salmon Trolling?
The Clarion has a good retrieve rate but no line counter and if you decide to go with the Berkley Line Counter you will have to crank down the tension real good to keep the braided copper from popping out of it with any tension on the wire. -
-
Setting up for a copper rig
Sk8man replied to Frogger's topic in Questions About Trout & Salmon Trolling?
Mike, Rob's advice is dead on. The Clarion is a real good choice for copper and for Lake O. If it was just for Seneca you could go "lighter" but because you do both it would be a good rig. You might want to carefully consider running the copper off the boards rather than down the chute as with the 500 especially it could easily tangle up in your other stuff. I know a lot of guys don't want to mess with weights but sometimes it is easier to have shorter section of copper (e.g. 250 or 300 with section of mono or braid fused in for the release) for all around use and then if you want to go deeper for the kings (e.g. summer) add inline weights which you can adjust to conditions above the leader with the boards once you get the feel of things. Make sure you get power handles for the Clarions too (or any other reel for that matter) and especially if you decide to go with 500 ft.....makes life a lot easier (despite the good retrieval rate of the Clarion). I only use my copper on Seneca so I have a totally different approach (more like pulling copper but with a short roller rod with 600 ft. and primarily bottom oriented). As far as the copper itself because you fish both Lake O and Seneca I'd go with the 45 lb braided copper even though it is not quite as easy to handle as the 30 but with the kings it is a good choice. Les -
-
-
Your point is well taken....and the geese spend a lot more time on the golf courses than the rest of us too
-
:smile:
-
Have a great day Scott....HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
-
I'm not sure that is correct.....truly migratory birds spend the winter in warmer latitudes and then return in the Spring....crows are here year round but move large distances in search of a variety of food sources.
-
Yeah now you need one in NY and Mass too as of a few years ago.
-
They have been working their way west for quite a while now Syracuse had them bad and hired specialists to deal with them and I believe Auburn did at one point as well. They started showing up in Geneva after that and since last year have been showing up in some numbers here in Canandaigua. When I was a kid we used to hunt them in wooded areas where we had cover but out where I live (3 miles outside of town) it's new developments without mature trees so nearly impossible to get them as they are extremely wary and vigilant. I can't use any "big stuff" because of the 500 ft. from dwelling regulation but I have a nicely sighted in scoped pellet gun (and ballistic pellets)....problem is....as soon as I touch the door knob the wary SOB's take off ....and the worst part is they sound like they are laughing when they go
-
Hope to see you one of these days soon Fishy!
-
-
Hey Fishy, What type of hours etc. do you have and maybe some directions to your location might be helpful....I know I'm up for a visit as soon as I hear there is safe ice at the north end there.
-
-
Hi Jack, I've never removed any of the paint from those particular lures but the wires that connect the beads should hold them in pretty good I'd just cover them (beads) with tape or maybe vasoline while painting.. I've had very good luck with the silver with orange, black ones, and blue and silver. Haven't done much with the chartreuse colors or greens surprisingly. Mainly big lakers on black ones and mainly rainbows on the orange especially the small sized ones. As far as the paint goes I do a lot of painting of my lures with nail polish rather than actual paint and then put a hardener coat on them. That way if I decide the color doesn't work out and I want to try another I just use some nail polish remover and repaint.I also get rid of then nail polish scent before using by spraying them with shad scent spray (after they have dried completely outside for a while). There you have it....my closely guarded "secret" method here are my most "active" Evil Eyes (from the left to right in order of preference)Take a look at the little one up close and you can see what I'm talking about....I had to go to a larger hook because they hit so viciously and sometimes swallowed it
-
-
Yeah especially with shorts on and a short sleeve shirt and flip flops.....and...no bug spray or fly swatter
-
-
-
It's fine....I've had some on mine for well over 25 years if that says anything
-
Arctic Armor jacket and bib pants....you won't find anything warmer and best of all if you fall overboard it will hold you up. My son and I use them for all cold weather fishing including ice fishing. http://www.idigear.com/index2.php check out the video http://www.idigear.com/video3.php We've had ours for about 4 or 5 years and they hold up very very well. Like many things that are high quality....they are relatively expensive but after going through the ice in 5 ft. of water a few years back before I bought them I figured it was worth it I even bought an extra jacket this year just to wear for outside stuff because they are so warm and windproof and waterproof.
-
-
'90 Penn Yan 245 Contender - Merry Christmas to me!
Sk8man replied to FleetTracker's topic in This Old Boat








