-
Posts
13,929 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by Sk8man
-
-
Back when the numbers of them were greater we used to get them on 6 inch flashers (often painted or taped red with medium spoons trailing them colored from orange to hot pink to bright red trolled fast with short leads often right in the prop wash. They seemed bolder than chinooks or steelhead As Bill mentioned they are pretty much "incidental" catches now and you don't see the small schools of them as in the past. Lake Clear Wabblers (largest size) with small light weight spoons also worked with them
-
Great point! I don't know why I forgot that one The danger can exist many yards away from the bubbler itself too as the current from it can travel along the shoreline.
-
Yeah I know in the past he apparently got pizzed unless you were a patron of his place
-
True although he was mentioning Finger Lakes and Loon is more like a pond but some decent perch, crappies and bass in there. Problem is usually parking unless you know someone that lives there. Other than that the Laff a Lot restaurant lot is about the only game in town.
-
Less common than kings and not stocked in as great numbers
-
I have been ice fishing nearly my entire life and I am still amazed at the stupidity of some folks; especially early and late season. These folks risk not only their own safety or lives but that of others pulled into the situation to help rescue them. They also divert resources away from other necessary matters (e.g. ambulances and fire trucks etc.). Even 3 to 4 inches of hard clear ice is real spooky and requires great caution.....people just can't wait and have zero patience and it can cost them dearly. Even if it doesn't cost them their life going into that cold water is one of the worst experiences that can be imagined and hypothermia can set in very quickly and before rescuers can arrive. Just not worth it. The fish will still be there when conditions are safer.
-
Honeoye is usually the first to ice over as it is the shallowest and is pretty protected. You do have to be VERY cautious though as there are gas pockets and stream run offf that can make entry and or exit unsafe early and late in the season. Don't take any chances out there. . Take a spud with you and "feel' your way out
-
-
Slide Divers on Wire Rod?
Sk8man replied to VanderLaan's topic in Questions About Trout & Salmon Trolling?
John gave you great specific advice on the crimping procedure. Twilli tips can be used but you may need to point the rod tip right at the crimp as it is coming in for smoothest entry. Most of my dipsy rods are roller rods which makes the transition easier. For regular dipsy setups I also use a crimp at the terminal end of wire with a strong solid ring ball bearing swivel attached but I encase the crimp connection in clear plastic glue (with glue gun). That way the crimp cannot move back and forth to ANY degree to sever the wire. Using the clear hot glue allows you to be able to view the inside of the connection to monitor it. I have never had one of them break at that point in over 40 or more years. -
Yeah Tim 2020 hasn't been a great year for any of us hunting or otherwise. Hang in there and keep your sense of humor as it goes a long ways right now.
-
I guess some of the Walmart staff had heard him (the buck) mumbling and complaining about being harassed the day before while trying to get a little
-
Excellent comprehensive video on Atlantic Salmon restoration
Sk8man replied to Sk8man's topic in Open Lake Discussion
tt -
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
for sale : usa 16 pound torpedo weight coming soon-great price!
Sk8man replied to TROUTMAN 87's topic in Classifieds - Buy, Sell, Trade or Rent
-
Some real good points. I never fished over 150-175 or so at night as I only had 300 ft of anchor rope. I had (2) 20 lb anchors separated by a couple feet of rope one a river anchor and the other a Dansforth. By having the two separated they wouldn't drag as much or as far unless it was a really stiff wind in which case i would move to better protected water or quit. Interesting about the flashlight routine. I had one too but I also had a little blinking red light that was designed for people using bicycles at night. Very disturbing though hearing someone winding up their motor and seeming nearby in total darkness This still happens a lot on weekends on Honeoye Lake presently during the summer and to make it worse you can hear the beer cans and bottles clinking....while they go flat out without their lights on. Back then during the early eighties my dad put together my first graph recorder (Heath Kit and used rolls of paper) including soldering all the components into the motherboard along with everything else....came in about a thousand parts in the box that had to be put together (luckily he was an electronics technician or i would have been screwed). Prior to that I used the first Vexilar flasher with two 6 volt batteries. We couldn't even have imagined some of today's equipment that is taken for granted.
-
One of my Coleman's had a reflector that covered one side of it the other one I used foil to block the light and project it outward and not in my eyes. When I later switched to the attractor headlight the beam was directed downward so was not a factor. My setup was basically like yours Penn9 reels on Medium action rods 10 lb mono (probably use fluoro now) 8 lb leaders about 2 ft long 4-6 ft apart. I'll include pics of the materials for reference for folks that haven't experienced this stuff;. The 2 ft leaders with #8 double hooks (tied my own) were attached to the loop end of the spring clips. The spring end was fastened to the clevice or between the middle beads of the bead chain that was spliced into the main 10 lb test line. I used the bead chains with the tiny clevice so that the bait could swim freely around the line without getting tangled. The sinker was located at the end of the main 10 lb test rig line. The line was lowered one bead chain at a time while threading a sawbelly on the leader just in front of the dorsal fin) with a threading needle such that the hook points were facing backward toward the tail just under the skin and avoiding the backbone as the fish would usually swallow the bait head first. Sometimes I would just hook the hook through the upper and lower mouth of the bait, This type of fishing is done suspended as you are drawing fish up from the bottom and from the sides and hopefully away from your anchor line. Ray is right about the tiny (#14) hooks catching both sawbellies and smelt as well on the bare hooks. today we would probably use the smallest sabiki rig available on an ice fishing jigging rod and just trim off one of the 6 hooks
-







