Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. Neat story and great pics Hachimo
  2. Good stuff! Nothing like "old school" It is a shame that many of the folks reading this are probably scratching their heads and wondering what the hell are they talking about? Perhaps not realizing how much fun they have missed.
  3. I have always used the aquarium vinyl hose for my home made flies
  4. Congratulations Kevin! Pays to hang in there too.
  5. The high ratios are good for retrieving empty lines quickly but not so great gaining leverage on fish while fighting them.
  6. X2 I ended up buying another half dozen Blue Leopards too
  7. They decimated all the pumpkins I threw out on the hill in back too ate seeds and all left just the skins
  8. Yeah I was a bit crazier back then . I did however switch to a headlamp connected to my battery which was still crazy as we did not have lithium batteries etc. back then to last long so I had to be real careful but i always had my 4 HP Evinrude kicker to get me back too. I fished exactly the way you described, You were also correct about the "click" I wasn't really a part of it with my little Whaler. but I knew most of the players. They used to bust me about the boat too saying "hey someone's dingy got loose". On Seneca I launched mainly from Sampson but also once in awhile from Dresden. A guy used to have a small launch there and I gave him $5.00 and he let me park there. I would get my sawbellies at Jake's Bait Shop right in Dresden on Rt #14 or if I fished east side Seneca from Fisherman's Friend Bait and Tackle between Waterloo and Geneva. Walt the owner and I used to perch fish together too. I also agree that jigging at night would probably be VERY deadly on the lakers especially at night but I never did much of it until the nineties. I think some of my current back issues are a result of being huddled on the floor of the Whaler with life vests under me trying to get some shut eye lying sideways with my feet hanging over the gunwales as I'm 6 ft tall and not that much room between the bench seats
  9. Yep no need for regionalism or politics on this one.
  10. I know we have been here (night fishing topic) before but Ray brings up a lot of nostalgia . I too used to fish by myself out there at the south end of Canandaigua at night and Seneca and Keuka as well in my little 13 ft Whaler no less. I remember captains John Roides and John Oravec (often in his Greek fisherman's hat) at the south end of Canandaigua. They both had good sized boats that I thought were like the Queen Mary compared to me The marina that John and Miriam Clark owned was a bustling beehive of fishermen in those days and you'd put your money in the money box and launch but most of the time I launched at the public one there in Woodville. I also had one of those nets that I bought at Sutton's. It took awhile to learn how to get the sawbellies and smelt with it though. My technique was to hang only one of my Coleman lanterns from the boom of one of my Riviera downriggers so that the light was brighter on that side of the boat (which I could do because my boat was so small and low to the water) and when the bait came up I would scoop the edge of the school from the other side of the boat where the light wasn't so bright....often worked but you had to be real quick and have the net already in the water and wait until the bait was over it and then lift up. As Ray mentioned it could be very lonely out there especially on the Seneca (mainly off Dresden) and somewhat on Keuka when the lights went out from the cottages along the shoreline. If you didn't have much moonlight you would have little ability to tell where you were out there until morning. It is hard to describe the thrill though when you nod off and then hear the drag playing out in the darkness with something unknown on the other end. Rainbows did indeed wreak havoc and the only clue might be hearing them splash from jumping out there somewhere in the darkness. The south end of Canandaigua was the most social of the places in the AM when folks came in and like Ray I usually trolled for a while before quitting. Probably hard to imagine the scenario for many folks today but it was a hell of a lot of fun at the time.
  11. Good article Don Thanks.
  12. This was sent to me by a buddy and thought I'd share it. VERY interesting. Effects on on drinking water supplies and on humans as well? https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/researchers-reveal-why-seattle-salmon-bite-dust-after-rain-180976463/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia&fbclid=IwAR3X44AuIgWbHNigUALZ72UzTM1XK7sLld8q4-KOmf1oukx6lhRUFeAFfb0
  13. yeah Xray vision.....just has to stay away from Kryptonite
  14. I think you'll be happy with the Opti too I love mine and 18 years now....still runs like new but I use my kicker for trolling and have since the Opti was new.
  15. John and Chuck provided you with great info to start with . Experiment from there. Sometimes you can't just depend on the thermocline itself (e.g. summer) as the kings can be down well below it in 42 or 43 degree water and they can sometimes be mistaken for lake trout.
  16. Basically it boils down to two choices for the best and depending on location - west of Rochester - Tom - Rochester east Hank at L&M for anyone out there with similar concerns.
  17. Wow! likes like a freakin elk
  18. This thread is another great example of the type of generous information sharing and idea generation that can and does go on at LOU
  19. WTG. The thinness probably reflects the nature of their diet without the fat rich alewives in there. The worms and marshmellow rigs work better for trout there than any of the other Fingers too
  20. Sk8man

    Sold / Closed Anchor

    Mike is a great guy and I'm proud to call him my buddy.....known him since his teens and he has always been generous and eager to help others
  21. Hang in there Bob I doubt if it is just you
  22. I hope you aren't giving some lurker a good start on things with the details. It is always a potential problem same as some of the National Geographic programds that cover drug deals and smuggling. These guys are able to use information to develop "work- arounds" despite the original concerns and intentions of the presentors. A lot of the current telephone and other scams are now done by the cartels as they are less liable to get caught and the penalties aren't as great as for other stuff.
  23. Kickers are a good investment and it can also save wear and tear on your larger main engine. Trolling for extended periods on the big motor can load up the plugs and is less fuel efficient.. I use my 135 Optimax mainly for traveling back and forth and only for trolling when extremely windy going against the wind. I can troll down to 1.8 or so with the Opti at 550 rpms if I have to.
×
×
  • Create New...