East Side of the Lake

I fish 100% in Mexico Bay. I'm getting jealous over here, seeing all of you catching kings on the western side of the lake. 

So far I've managed to catch two small kings this year. Lots of browns and Lakers, so I cant complain. 

Last year I didn't start catching kings until early July. Which sounds like the norm for the eastern side of the lake.

What's the "scientific" reason for the hot king action in May out west, while the eastern king bite is slow? 

I went way offshore today, hoping to find some. Ran across lots of bait, but no fish.  

You are correct about the king action starting in mid July on the east end of the lake   I’ve been fishing LO since the late 70’s and it’s the same year after year. The major influx of water into the lake is the Niagara River  The bait and the majority of pelagic fish tend to gather here  it is what it is. If you want king and coho action before July you will have to go west   

The majority of kings winter on the east end of the lake. That, along with the influx of water coming from Lake Erie through the Whelan canal and the Niagara river attracts a lot of bait fish. Your time is coming because they’re jealous of your late summer early fall fishery. Kings migrate west to east as the year goes on.

The with the introduction of the net pen projects, kings population for fall has spread out to various other rivers other than the salmon river. The lake is getting more even with population due to this project in my opinion.

• 9 months later...

It sounds like you're having quite the fishing adventure out on Mexico Bay! While the western side of the lake might be buzzing with king action, it's awesome to hear you're still reeling in some browns and Lakers. Fishing can be a bit mysterious sometimes, right? Maybe those kings are just playing hard to get on the eastern side for now! Also, have you ever considered a change of scenery to unwind? Lake Clementine is a gem for summer fun activities like kayaking or hiking. It could be a refreshing break from the fishing scene! You should definitely check out more about it.

Edited by Beatixre
  • Haha 1

Beatixre, with all due respect, If RH93 doesn’t want to travel two hours west for the better early summer salmon fishing why would he consider traveling all the way across country to northern California to go to Lake Clementine? Long way to trailer your boat too. Get a grip!