How important are long leads on divers?

There are days that short leader lengths work well and days that long leader lengths work.  It all depends on the mood of the fish.  If they are aggressive, a short leader length will not matter as much.  

11 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

There are days that short leader lengths work well and days that long leader lengths work.  It all depends on the mood of the fish.  If they are aggressive, a short leader length will not matter as much.  

I hear that, I often wonder if we tend to overthink it:-) I am using 7’ rods for inside diver, so hopefully they are aggressive:)

Edited by BRsnow

On 6/17/2023 at 12:04 AM, BRsnow said:

Curious on this. I fish alone much if the time. I can use slide divers, but curious if a 6 foot leader is really detrimental to success.

I fish 12' minimum on my diver leaders. it has greatly increased the success of them. I will admit that short leads for spoons can have their days but short leads on flashers can hinder their action. The long leads means that we are forced to handline them to the net. 

If you fish alone and need longer leads consider slide divers. Also use a small spro swivels that will past threw your rod and reel. With this setup you can run long meat rigs and land your fish by yourself. Good luck

1 hour ago, Earl28 said:

If you fish alone and need longer leads consider slide divers. Also use a small spro swivels that will past threw your rod and reel. With this setup you can run long meat rigs and land your fish by yourself. Good luck

Thanks, that makes since. I would think a simple wire knot to the spro would work. Also looking at the SW diver approach with it clipping off like a board does. I appreciate the help.

• Like 1

For what its worth I ran 2 divers in my spread all last year with about 7-8 foot leaders and they just flat out werent working for me.    Switched to slide divers this year and am running 40 foot leaders and they are out producing my riggers and junk lines 3:1.