Lines in about 6:30 100 fow, cold up high. Set riggers at 50 and 40, dipsys out +/- 100. Saw some fish on the surface so 2 deep diving flicker minnows on the big boards. Headed north only saw a few. Came back south to 100 and headed west. Took a eating size king on a slider. Mag nbk. Reset and a flat line went off. Lost that one but looked like a 18" steelhead. Didn't get that line back in and the slider went again. Fish went in front of both riggers. Got it off of one and broke it off the second. That was a better one. Tough when they charge the boat like that and are that shallow. So if anyone finds a mag nbk let me know! Fished till 10 and nothing else hit.

Edited by tyler.woodard04

A humbling day for me. Had a decent high teens maybe low 20 king break of my entire meat rig 20 feet from the boat. Reset and had another high teans break the line to the meat head 20feet behind the boat. 

I was in 100feet, mag dipseys out 120 and 150. 

31 minutes ago, dhhurlburt said:

A humbling day for me. Had a decent high teens maybe low 20 king break of my entire meat rig 20 feet from the boat. Reset and had another high teans break the line to the meat head 20feet behind the boat. 

What are you running for leader?

I have 30 pound floro. When I checked the rest if my leaders I felt nicks. Probably when I take them off the boat and out the rods in the garage I'm nicking them. I have all new leaders and looking exactly where I put the rods to see what I'm doing wrong. 

• Like 1

On 6/27/2023 at 8:33 PM, dhhurlburt said:

That is very odd, I run 20 lb Trilene Fluro and I cannot remember the last time I diver rig break at the leader.

Usually nicks are from wire. Perhaps you had your rig get tangled with another?  The other possibility is the fish swam forward after hitting your rig, got the line tangled in the main line ahead of the flasher or the other wire rig before tripping the release. I caught a steelhead on Erie Sunday that showed itself by jumping behind the boat. The problem was it swam ahead and stayed ahead. We knew we had a fish on but no way of telling which rod. Three minutes later the outside board moves back. 

Edited by Gill-T
  • Thanks 1

Fill the gap at the bottom of the treble where the three shanks come together to form the main stem of the hook - 90% of the time when a king breaks you off (guys will say they got bit off) the leader will be flattened out as it was wedged up in that gap and ultimately broke off.  You can fill that gap with JB-Weld, 5 minute epoxy, or a number of other things and it will keep that from happening.  Also smart to do it on your tournament tie flies as well.   A few manufacturers also make hooks with the gap already filled - Addya and Salmon Candy offer these hooks with pre-filled gaps. 

https://www.allseasonssports.com/addya-hercules-2x-treble-no-bite-off-no-cut-off-bl.html

Edited by AnglingAddict
  • Thanks 1