AGM Batteries and spot lock?

I want to get a new Ulterra Quest and have no easy way to charge Lithium battery's at our dockage. I'm rarely on the lake more than 4 hours. Can I get 4 hours from 2 100 amp AGM batteries wired for 24 volts useing spot lock or ipilot?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 🙂 Thanks!! 

Edited by Long time fisherman

IMHO, it's going to matter what kind of conditions you're fishing. Calm to slight breeze, spot lock....sure. Easily. Twenty mile an hour in-your-face stiff breeze, trolling using the motor...maybe, maybe not. That's where the boat you're fishing will kick in. I'd bet good money that you'd have power to spare with a 16' Lund. But try the same with a 21' Ranger and it might be a different story.

Also, although there are significant weight savings to Lithium and, unlike alkaline batteries that provide less top end power as they discharge, lithiums give their all right down to being completely depleted. Still, at the end of the day, 100 Ah is 100 Ah. 

Edited by Gator

Than

53 minutes ago, Gator said:

IMHO, it's going to matter what kind of conditions you're fishing. Calm to slight breeze, spot lock....sure. Easily. Twenty mile an hour in-your-face stiff breeze, trolling using the motor...maybe, maybe not. That's where the boat you're fishing will kick in. I'd bet good money that you'd have power to spare with a 16' Lund. But try the same with a 21' Ranger and it might be a different story.

Also, although there are significant weight savings to Lithium and, unlike alkaline batteries that provide less top end power as they discharge, lithiums give their all right down to being completely depleted. Still, at the end of the day, 100 Ah is 100 Ah. 

Thanks gator! We only go out when conditions are good. But our boat's a 20 ft Bass buggy pontoon with a canvas cabin. The Ulterra Quest is capable of 36 volts as well. Is there any advantages to go with 3 batteries to get more time? 

A pontoon with canvas on a windy day will eat those batts up. 36v will help but still...,IMO

Your Merc will probably not be enough... it still has to charge the cranking battery as well.

An onboard charger if you have shore power will work and will keep you fishing everyday, but still your run time will still suffer depending on all the variables being use and wind.

A troll bridge unit is another possibility. you can google it for information.

3 hours ago, Shakemsam said:

A pontoon with canvas on a windy day will eat those batts up. 36v will help but still...,IMO

Your Merc will probably not be enough... it still has to charge the cranking battery as well.

An onboard charger if you have shore power will work and will keep you fishing everyday, but still your run time will still suffer depending on all the variables being use and wind.

A troll bridge unit is another possibility. you can google it for information.

Thanks Shakemsam!! I've spent hours trying to figure this out. My altinator only is rated at 18 amps. I'm thinking the safest way to go is with 22 lb lithium battery's wired 24v solely for the trolling moter and have them taken home to charge as needed... 🤷‍♂️

• 1 month later...