Follow the contour

On 2/12/2024 at 10:59 AM, Long time fisherman said:

What minn kota TM and Hummingbird set up do I need to have a follow the contour option?  Is it built in or do I need an accessory?

Need the TM talking to the HB.  That means NEMA 2000 interface on both units.  Terrova or higher on the TM and make sure HB you are interested in or already have has NEMA 2000 capability. A NEMA backbone setup and a few cables will be minimum.

• Thanks 1

With an older Minn Kota you needed an iPilot LINK, but all the new Quest trolling motors in the Terrova, Ulterra, and Ultrex will do it now. For a Humminbird you will need a "N" unit, which is an Networking unit. Add a Lakemaster mapping card and you're all set. Reach out to me with any questions about this set-up. I have it on my Lund and sell them at the marina. We have professional installers as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Smat64 said:

How much better are the brushless trolling motors?

They just started shipping in the last month or two. They certainly beefed up a lot of things on these new trolling motors. Most of which came from professional anglers, but more importantly the warranty claims on the older ones.

1 hour ago, Yankee Troller said:

With an older Minn Kota you needed an iPilot LINK, but all the new Quest trolling motors in the Terrova, Ulterra, and Ultrex will do it now. For a Humminbird you will need a "N" unit, which is an Networking unit. Add a Lakemaster mapping card and you're all set. Reach out to me with any questions about this set-up. I have it on my Lund and sell them at the marina. We have professional installers as well.

1 hour ago, Yankee Troller said:

Add a Lakemaster mapping card and you're all set.

Rick, to get mapping for Lake Ontairo and inland lakes in NY, would we need to buy two Lakemaster cards?  Northeast card to get inland lakes (like Oneida of Fingers) and another Great Lakes card to get Ontario?

9 minutes ago, ejp1365 said:

Rick, to get mapping for Lake Ontairo and inland lakes in NY, would we need to buy two Lakemaster cards?  Northeast card to get inland lakes (like Oneida of Fingers) and another Great Lakes card to get Ontario?

No the NE card will do inland and Lake O. If you want Lake Erie you need the Great Lakes card.

Edited by Yankee Troller
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's up to you. I copied this from Humminbird's website:

LakeMaster maps with VX Technology deliver an exact understanding of the bottom terrain, and powerful features to eliminate unproductive water, including SmartStrike technology, Depth Highlight, Shallow Water Highlight, and Water Level Offset. And for an added advantage, upgrade to LakeMaster Premium, with all the features on LakeMaster, plus Aerial Imagery and 2D Shaded Relief layers.

• Thanks 1