trolling bucktails

I run 5' leaders with a ball bearing swivel at the line end and at the lure end. For line twist.  I attach trolling sinker were the line meets the leader, from 1oz to 4 oz , depending on style of spinner or bucktails and how deep you want them to run. Helps with floating weeds too. My favorite is the Stingeye Magnum Spinners. You can add bucktail hooks if you like. Mepps plain Giant Killers work good too. Plain treble hooks are better for deeper applications.  I put a split ring on the trolling sinkers with a snap swivel , to quickly attach to ball bearing swivel at the line end. Hope this helps, best of luck !!

• Like 1

I kinda watch the rod action, the big spinners , I tend to go a little slower to keep them down. Bucktails with hair, I like to run in shallow water on weed edges. Trolling open water for suspended fish , I prefer Stingeye Magnums or Mepps Giant Killers, plain hooks.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I can’t stress enough to occasionally jerk the rod or give it a steady pull then drop back motion during mid-troll.  You’ll grab those followers that otherwise may not strike a steadily moving lure.  I learned this trolling spinnerbaits and bucktails for pike and muskies in Ottawa.

• Like 1

Very true, my wife runs the boat while I run the set-up. I tell her to Crazy Ivan, and she turns the boat to speed up and slow down lures . Triggering those followers for sure.  I also fish northern Quebec,  a few hours above Manawaki.  Walleye and pike. I fish western NY for Muskies.