Rough ride today with a reward 3/28

Took the morning off to try again and was met with swells big enough to make me hurl.  Dirty water didn’t produce for me even when the water temp went up 2 degrees besides 1 hit and run.  Was getting discouraged but sucked it up and changed up colors and hit some fish in clear water mid-morning around 10:30.  Started off working in 5-10’ with a Smithwick, rapala and a modified Icicle.  Icicle on my rigger down 4’ hit first and snapped my leader on the strike.  Too choppy to retie so I tossed out my 1 color core with a Sodus Buckeye.  No more hits for 2 hours. Moved out to clear water but still under 10’ and hit a pod of fish.  Every rod went off within 5 minutes and had to net 2 at once.  Third one hit as I was untangling hooks. Decided to put two lines back out as I was packing up to leave and the leadcore went off again, this time was a noticeable heavier fish.  The drag on that Okuma goes from weak to locked without much in between. Had to tighten it to gain on it and of course it turns and snapped me off at the leader.  10# leader lost me 2 spoons today but great to land some quality fish.

IMG_0901.png

IMG_0902.png

IMG_0904.png

IMG_0911.jpeg

Edited by greenhornet73
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

This was my modified Icicle that I had colored last night. It worked and I am calling it the Hurly Bird…My other 3 producers are on the deck pic.

IMG_0912.png

Edited by greenhornet73