What does the Lowrance active target Live sonar do for a trolling boat?

I have had the Garmin PanOptix system in the rear of my boat now for 2 years. I see things on it that I don’t see on my Lowrance HDS/ Airmar sonar system AND vice versa. ( very inconvenient to have customers ask “ if those are fish right now in your riggers, why aren’t we catching them “) ANYWAY: given I have the PanOptix + Lowrance HDS/ Airmar system facing essentially backwards what theoretical benefit is forward facing sonar for a trolling boat. Thanks for any experienced comments 

I watched a video of running a Garmin with the transducer showing what was forward of the boat. I thought it was awesome so you would know ahead of this when you were going to be in fish.

I thought very seriously about switching to Garmin for this feature alone. but it was cost prohibitive for me. right now I have all Lowrance HDS units, I have a 12 live and a 9 gen 3, and an 8 gen1 for emergencies.

I foresee using mine in forward mode in shallow water or perspective mode in really shallow water.  I think there would be some usefulness in identifying a good target ahead of time and stopping to cast or jig.  I have a small boat and that is feasible.  If you had a big boat running a ton of rods it wouldnt make any sense. While I have limited experience with this, Im not sure there is a whole lot of value in using it in forward mode for deep water trolling especially if you only have one live sonar unit.  Probably need a second live sonar unit to get enough time with it to really answer your question.  Better yet, get one for each corner of the boat!

Went to salmon school in Pulaski last month, two out of three of the charter capt's loved the Garmin Panoptix's

They showed a video of trolling, seeing the fish live, looked great. Added it to my boat last week, cant wait to try once we start fishing a little deeper.

1 hour ago, Last One said:

Went to salmon school in Pulaski last month, two out of three of the charter capt's loved the Garmin Panoptix's

They showed a video of trolling, seeing the fish live, looked great. Added it to my boat last week, cant wait to try once we start fishing a little deeper.

Glad you read my post carefully LOL. I’ve had the PanOptix for 2 years.