tie line direct or use a snap on spoons?

What is the right way to attach the spoon, I have heard that if on a swivel it will act wrong, others say you need a split ring on the spoons that dont have them, and still others say always tie right to what ever the company has supplied the spoon with, tie to the ring if it has a ring or tie to the spoon if there is just a hole...

whats the scoop?

Spoons roll over every once in a while so a swivel is a must, somewhere in your line. Easiest to go with is a combination snap-swivel right at the spoon. Some guys will tie a spoon direct or have only a snap but then have a swivel up 6 ft or so from it. If you tie a tight knot like a palomar or clinch on the hole in the spoon, it will damper the action considerably.

As far as rings go, some guys fish the lure just as it comes out of the package, others put a split ring on everything. That's really a matter of your experience, how you fish, etc. What I'd suggest is that if you have one of those "hot" color ones and it's not producing for you then put a ring on it and try it. (or vice versa)

Good luck,

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Try tying a small swivel to end of your main line and then add 6-8 feet of flourocarbon leader and a small snap. I use Berkley snaps and Sampo swivels. I also use the spoon the way it comes regarding split rings (ring or no ring.) I wouldn't tie line directly to the spoon beacuse the shoulders of the hole in the spoon can be sharp enough to cut the line with an active fish on the other end.

Any one ever have a problem running 2 swivels? I run a snap swivel at the lure but then run another very small ( fits threw the guides on reel) to atatch my leader. I dont use a knot to do this cause its easier 4 me with a swivel with a hand condition i have. I always wonderd if this might take away from lure action a little but didnt really think it did. But then again we all know little things ad up and might make the diffrence in the number of fish landed.

every knot is another weak point one snapswivel on 20llb test give or take a few lbs is all you need..a swivel (even the littleones ) will eventually give you greif when under the load of a fighting fish or worse yet when the fleas slide to that point fishing browns in the spring you will get away with it ..most kings have one thing on there mind food so what is front on it dont matter within reason(diesel).line twist =premature failure ..just pull a spinny with flea flicker for a hour and get a nice hit and youll see what i mean..