Where should I fish for walleye Sat Afternoon?

Better Chance for Afternoon Walleye  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Better Chance for Afternoon Walleye

• Irondequoit Bay
    • Gennesee River at Black Creek

I have a chance to fish for a bit on saturday afternoon.

I would like to catch walleye. Would not mind catchin bass or pike though...

Can fish until dark, but not after.

Cannot leave the Rochester Area.

Am I better off tryin I-bay or the Gen at Black Creek? Or maybe the Gen around the canal?

I'm leanin towards the river as I imagine the bay will be kinda busy Sat afternoon... I'm also thinkin those annoying rowing kids with their oblivious coaches that like to haul ass by my kayak in their aluminum boats will not be there because it's a weekend...

What do you think? Any tips on how to get them?

Thanks dudes 8)

Phil

I launched at Black Creek around 2:00. The wind and current were goin pretty good so I trolled crankbaits upriver. Got up to the bends in the river and tried lots of things, but only got a sheepshead.

I tried slow trollin a worm harness and got a 13'' walleye. Ended the day at 9:00 with a smallmouth on a rapala.

Not as good fishin I was hopin for, but still a great day on the water.

Phil

well at least you got one good job now you know where to start any pics? :yes:

Yeah. Thanks again for the tips. I went to Gander and Dicks but could not find those lures. I guess I will have to order some.

Here are some pics and a better report...

100_2281.jpg

Got this dude on a nightcrawler. It was cool hearin him croak. I like these fish.

I am not used to river fishing. It seems a little harder. There are so many damn snags in the river that it makes it tough to get into a rhythm. The wind was howling with the current the whole time as I trolled upriver planning to drift back. Around the bends I realized the wind shifted and was now facing the current. This stopped any drift. The wind finally died and I got into a rhythm paddling backwards slowly downstream workin a spinner harness on one rod and a jig on the other. The eye came a little upstream of the Jefferson rd bridge in 11ft. on a worm harness. Wished he was bigger.

100_2284.jpg

I worked that area most of the rest of the afternoon. I saw more fish on the sonar there than any other spot, but no more love.

Got the smallmouth on a floatin rapala just upstream of the bridge. Nothin special so I did not shoot a pic.

Many people were fishin Saturday. All the boats slowed down as they passed me which I appreciate very much! Thank you. Only one wake went over my side.

Guys were tellin me the eyes were hittin a few miles upriver. They told me this as it was gettin late and I opted against headin up there.

Just downstream of the bridge I saw somethin flappin in the water. I picked this guy up with my paddle and we hung out for a while...

100_2286.jpg

Poor guy was shiverin pretty bad. I dropped him off on the bank and he flew off about a half hour later. I hope he makes it...

Saw some cool otters too...

100_2283.jpg

The river is pretty cool to fish. Maybe next time I will try below the falls at the island. Thats if I can find a spot to launch nearby.

Hope you enjoy this boring report,

Phil

I made it back out for just a couple hors got two eyes 13" and 14.5" but it was a nice morning same place as before and on a chrome and blue walleye diver and hey phile they do have them at gander stoped and picked one up today.

I'm thinkin it would be hella fun to launch just north of avon and paddle and drift all day and have my gf pick me up at black creek or the canal.

Does anyone know of any spots to launch a kayak around there? There is a launch at Honeyoe creek, but that might be a little too far south. Any spots around the I-90?

Anyone fish the river around there?

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
Phil, try going up the creek there's some deep holes 10-12fow and some eyes northerns and bass.Try spinner baits white maybe. No wakes up there. :):) Mike.

You talkin about Black Creek? I was thinking of bringing the yak up there right where it enters the river.