Electric Trailer Brakes

IRISH56

A little off topic but I figured you guys were the ones to ask - 1st time towing a travel trailer with electric brakes. I installed the controller, no problem -- vehicle specific adapter to pre-wired tow package harness. Hooked up the trailer (friend's) and the controller's light was on as it should be. You can hear the brakes on the trailer humming when hooked up ... question #1 - is this normal?

Trailered it for appx. 5 miles home and really didn't feel anything brake - wise other than what I normally feel trailering the boat except a little heavier. Question #2 - should I feel the trailer brakes engage? I didn't have the chance to mess around with the contoller settings due to time of night and kids needing to get to bed. Controller was on factory settings.

Hauling the camper to central PA in a few days and I'm just a little nervous due to inexperience w/electric brakes.

Thanks.

That doesn't sound right Dan. Can you engage the brakes by moving the slider bar on the controller? The trailer brakes should engage slightly BEFORE your vehicle brakes so set your controller accordingly. You should feel the trailer brakes holding the vehicle back. I'd suggest going to an empty mall parking lot and make the adjustments before heading out on the open road. Bob

Surge brakes are being outlawed in Ohio and other states like NC are really hammering Yankees without trailer brakes meeting their higher standards. Probably a good idea when you upgrade your rigs to equip them with electric brake systems.

"Surge brakes are being outlawed in Ohio and other states like NC are really hammering Yankees without trailer brakes meeting their higher standards. Probably a good idea when you upgrade your rigs to equip them with electric brake systems"

My equipment trailers all have eletric brakes. However I would think that electric brakes on boat trailers wouldn't work (I have neer seen them on a boat trailer either). Just figued water & electric didn't mix.

Yes you will hear the the hum. That's the power to the electromagnets. Don't know what control unit you have but I highly recommend the prodigy by tekonsha. I tow a 7000lb (dry weight) travel trailer with the prodigy. I installed it 5 years ago and haven't had to adjust it since. Just follow the instructions for adjustment and your set to go.

Thanks for everyone's input. I managed to smoke the 1st brake controller, apparently my ground connection was not so good thanks to the install guy - - ME :clap: .

Installed a new controller, Tekonsha Voyager, and that worked well for me.

Towing #6k is a little harrowing the first time :o:o . Especially down through the mountains of PA. Thoroughly enjoyed camping in a trailer though as compared to a tent. It came in real handy with the severe t-storms and tornado warnings on Saturday.