4/22/2007 First trip

4/22/2007 First trip

Well I started off the 2007 season on Seneca today. I sat in the middle of the lake talking to No Clue and Ray K for awhile both of them were doing well. I had my lines in the water at 10:25 am and one minor equipment problem that had me out of the game for 20 minutes or so. I landed 4 and lost one by 12:30pm not a bad start to the season. 2 at 85' down 20' off the ball , 1 at 95' down same rig just deeper, 2 at 85' down 10' off the ball . All fish were taken on a north troll with the wind out of the south. I didn't record the surface temps. but the down temp at 85' was 39.6* to 39*. Fish were 17 3/4" , 20 1/4" , 24 1/4" and 20". The first three for the smoker threw the last one back that was a double at the end. All fish were caught from 109' (FOW) to 135'. No lamprey marks on any of the fish.

Ahhhhhhhhh yes it felt great to be on the water again...... :D

4-23-2007 - Seneca

Wind was out of the south to start with a good chop. Ran across to west side and set up south of the showboat.

Carol came out with me today and we started setting up at 10:35 am and fished till 12:00 noon. She hooked and boated two I hooked 3 and boated one and one tap with no one home ( and don't you know she sure told me about THAT). They were all a little over 21" with out any fin clips or lamprey marks. We had a good bite going then the wind shifted to out of the west with waves still coming from the south sliding the boat on the surface. This was causing a real bad cable angle for the down riggers so we called a day after fighting that cross wind for 20 minutes or so. 117' to 135' had a lot of fish just off the bottom. Surface temp on the west side was 39.9* you could see some pockets of warm water as I dropped the subtroll down with temps as high as 45* but the wind had them mixed up. The surface temp on the east side was 43.7* just north of Lodi creek with it dropping to 42* on the south side of it. Three more for the smoker so that should be enough to fire it up. The wind sounds like a freight train going by out side now. This will sure mix the water up good or should I say bad................will not know till I get out again.

4-24-2007 Seneca

Wind out of the north surface temp just out of the launch area 42* ran across to Long Point surface temp 39.9*. Set up at 10:30 am and trolled south.We had some marks up in the 30' range set two riggs up in that area. We had one strike with no one home that knotted the hook up on the line ahead of the peanut that was on the downrigger at 85' down. Made a turn and came back thru this area with the rigger up higher so I could work in shallower. Worked the area for a while with nothing going. Pulled all lines and went into a fast 4.5mph search mode. Then we set up again working water from 115' to 145' with the downriggers at 110' and 105'. We boated 8 lakers from 16 1/2" to 20" and lost 4 more put 5 in the box. Pulled lines after SOD wanted the area we were fish so bad that they ran up our butt on the inside then tried matching our speed cutting off our zig-zag course.We were going to fish for a while longer but it was pushing 4 hours since we left Gracie so we left. The best bite was going from 115' heading for the 145' on the south troll. The wind had changed from the north to a light east wind and then the sun came out and the fish turned ON. No lamprey marks on any of the fish.

Great pics Ray. Nice catch to start the season off. How bout a recipe or two in the recipe section to let us know how you cook 'em up? I was gonna wish you good luck on the water this year but it doesn't look like you need the luck, you got the skill. ;)

A bit off topic but ,a question about your temp readings, I put sub troll probe down in Canandaigua after rerigging new probe and got speed readings and temp but temp reading didn't change much from surface to down to 25'. ( I didn't want to risk losing probe if something was wrong with rigging so I didn't run it very deep. Opting to lower starboard rigger to marks @ 75'- 100' Around 39* for the most part except extreme north end in shallows where temp was 42*. I kind of thought maybe it was not working right, until I re- checked on my way back to launch.

4-26-2007 Seneca

Fished the east side today by myself wind out of the south surface temp 40.2* on top and was with in that range down to 110' never saw it lower than 39.9*. Lots of junk on this side plus weeds floating on top so I was cleaning lines ever now and then because of that crap. After I found some fish I boated 7 and lost 4 from 9:00am till 12:15 pm. 3 @ 15" 2 @ 17.5" one @ 16" and one @ 25.25" with two lamprey marks on her. All but the last fish was taken deep 145' water to 116' , 120' down on one rigger and 110' down on the other. Saw a few large marks later on in the 90' range so I brought the 110' rigger up to 84' and pick up the last fish of the day that was the biggest one. Wind stayed out of the south dropped off some for a while then picked back up. The sun came out also that was when I had my best bite but the biggest fish was caught later with no sun and a good chop.

UP14157.jpg

4-28-2007 Seneca

Pretty flat this morning surface temp 40.2* wind did come out of the west for a short period but not very hard. Light rain on and off over cast all the time we were out. Hoot and I set up at 9:30 am and fished till 11:30 am lost the first 4 , then I used the "burst" mode on the ThrollMaster and we hooked and boated the next three. On the next one it seem like a good bite so I gave it a go and lost it. I used the burst after that and we hooked and landed everyone except for the last one at 11:30 am. Boated nine and lost 6 all deep 120' down over 145' to 160' FOW. 39.3* at 120' two fish had small 6" lampreys on them the rest were all clean all lakers. Hoot kept two for lunch we released the rest they ran from 16" to 18" nothing big.

• 1 month later...

Wow I was just checking my Angler Cooperator,Fishing Diary for Seneca and the last time I fished here was 4-28-2007. I spent some time fishing in Ohio and my yearly trip to Lake George just didn't realize how much time went by,my own fault I should have fished Cayuga when the derby was going on and I didn't have a boat-mate to fish with. It was a tough two days on the water with a skunk on the 5-30-2007. I dropped in at Lodi and fished north to Sams Rock about a miles south of the Boy Scout camp. I marked a bait pod in that area and worked it hard but nothing going. So I picked up and ran across lake just north of the Showboat and fish north for the next hour with out any luck. I had a few marks here and there but could not get them to hit. Same deal for me my 50 or less program still stinks like the smell of the SKUNK in the box today.

5-31-2007

Ran about 7 miles south just below Sharkey Point and just looked for a while and found LOTS of bait from 30' to 50'. Dropped down some bait heads with herring strips for some time working these pods hard.....nothing. Kept going north and changed out program to go deep. Worked out over 300' of water and just came back in slooowwww. Found some good marks and bait from 160' to 210' I had the rigs down 120' and 47'. I dropped the 120' down to 158' and then picked up 6 lakers in the next 1.5 hours. All on the same rig , when I dropped the other rig within 10' of the deep one they would shut down. All on the small side from 14" to 19" put three in the box.

Ray K what happen to all your post ????

i threw a temper tamtrum erased a few. :$ some good LL just around gleneldrege first 1.5 hrs of light then shutdown too much bait around use small spoons silver /blue, sil/blk,,sil/purp,superman, also some good lakers around lodi just north around the hump bout 1 mile north every thing we did was in 40ft and above last 45 min of daylight troll west to east for some laker action on top like 15ft down 100ft back one in the propwash wont hurt 2.4 gps

not you you silly wabbit i stuck my nose in where i shouldnt have and it got bent a little on another post ,, the only problem with your post is there was none for the derby!!!!!!!!! some people dont understand my depth of humor(sometimes shallow) im the kinda guy who fishes to be on the water my 1st home,plays golf for fun not the score,enters bike races for the free T shirt ,and goes hunting to relive memories of days gone by and days to come,when i catch a big fish,wack a nice buck,or get a hole in one (more like a low bogey) thats a bonus ,, i ant never gonna win a bike race unless its downhill all the way gravity +BMI==speed

Oh sorry about that Ray here's my post for the derby.

The first day I sat on the bank mwing grass and P&M that I didn't have someone to fish with.

The second day was much of the same but grass was done so I think I did my P&M in front of the T.V. or on the deck. Hoot did make my day when he stopped by and asked me to weight his pike and take a picture for him.

The thrid day was easy cause I knew them guys was done around noonish.

Well that's about it I'll have the report for today done soon. With your spoon deal I did two fish less than 50' today and had a good rip on three colors of core with a small spoon.

For your infomation I get a good belly laugh out of your "shallow humor". So I say bring it on I can take it as well as I can dish it out.... :lol:

Went down to the launch around 8:30am Hoot,the park guy and a few others were around Hoot's dingy BSing. I got mine ready and lined her up to launch and asked Hoot you going out in your 12'er or with me ? "YOU" he said a little lumpy for mine......LOL......went across south of Severne State launch and set up by 9:00am. Worked the deeper water I fished yesterday and only picked up one 15.25" laker with no bait and few marks. So I started working out some with out any better results. Worked slowly back in bringing up spread as I came in. I got into 65' with out much luck so I pulled to two deepest riggers and set up for less then 50' going to a all spoon program. We found bait in 45' had a good rip on the three color lead core (while I was changing out the spread)lost the fish and it hit it again and lost it again. (found the drag stuck as it will with these darn Okuma Magna Pro if you don't check them ALL the time when setting up may be why the hook pulled out) I finally got the 4 rod spread out and we worked the area north about a mile below Long Point. Turned and worked back thru picking up one dink 15" at 40' down on a spoon. The inline boards were diving every now and then going back into the waves so I set up all the riggers and one core. Still not much action so we made one short pass back up. Outside rigger acting funny so Hoot checked it and was messed up with another line. I checked the other line and it had a fish on it and the third down rigger line. Nice 24.5" 5#5oz laker. That was it for the day felt good to pick a few up in less 50' of water. Not sure of the names of the spoons but the one that took the 24.5 was Superman (thanks for the tip Ray)

what a you doing home musky ant them curtins done yet, the big scum line just hit the oaks waters today every thing should be stacking up there even though the surface temp is breaking up some but the colored water should still be there should be a perfect fishing setting up for tommorow ,bait will spread out and fish will school up aught to be a good day for doubles and triples.. gotta do a wedding thing tomorrow ....good luck with the tub tomorrow dont forget that plug and look for a busy launch the people there will appreceate you launching for there enjoyment good luck and be carefull DONT forget the Camera were all dying to see you sitting on that porta potty with those lavender curtins in the backgroung....maybe sunday ??????????

I went today from 5:30AM to 4:30PM. I missed the biggest king of my life and a sure LOC winner. He almost spooled me and I got him back to within 100' and lost him. The heat got to me and I had to leave before dark. That's a first for me. I ended the day 0 for 3 and my buddy 0 for 1. My heart was racing a mile an hour when I missed the big one, but it was a good day for just relaxing. I need more practice. :(

Green Spin Dr. w/green fly, White Spin Dr. w/blue fly took all the hits. Both flies were A-tom-ik but I don't know the names of them. All were off dipsies in 40-60 fow near the bottom. We trolled all day from 40 - 225 fow. :$ my face & arms are beet red, forgot the sun block.

DONT forget the Camera were all dying to see you sitting on that porta potty with those lavender curtins in the backgroung....maybe sunday ??????????

I didn't know you were into that sort of thing. NYUK NYUK NYUK :D

Hey Bob, If yesterday on Ontario was anything like Wed on Cayuga, I know what you mean about the heat! The sun was unmerciful all day, not a cloud in the sky. Ya better get back out there though, don't let a skunk make a home in your new boat. PS I'd be careful about being in a mens room alone with Ray. :shock: