Planer fishing Part 2

I'm trying to visualize multiple lines off a planer, so if you can help me out on a hypothetical:

Let's say I run 3 lines off 1 board, these are my questions:

1. Do you place a knot or some sort of stop to keep the clothespins/attachments from all stacking together?

2. A fish hits the middle line. To reset, do you let out line from the inner line then add the middle line on the inside, or do you need to pull the inner line and start over setting both?

3. Where is the best place to place each of the 3 rods on the boat while trolling, on side holders, on top with a rocket set, or some of both.

If anyone has photos or knows of a site that shows this multiple line presentation, I would really appreciate it as I just do not have a picture in my mind of the attachments and handling the multiple lines without a tangle.

Thanks,

Greg

gaj,

1- let the line attached to the release out as far as you want and it will stop. Make sure you put a couple twists in the line (making a loop) before attching the line to the release.

2- Once the middle line releases and the fish is straight behind the boat, let the inside line out more to the spot the middle rod was running.

3- I run mine on the gunnels. Jus tbecareful that the plainer tow line does not lift a rod out of the rod holder and drop it in the drink.

The answer to 1, you mean twist the planer board line correct? So when in 2., you reset the inner line do you let out fishing line only, and if so, how to put the line you caught a fish on back in play...do you let out more planer line?

Also, what is your opinion on type of line to use at first, mono, copper, or lead core, or no difference since if I screw it up it tangles either way.

Thanks,

Greg

Let the lure back say 100'. Take the line (on the rod) twist it making a loop. Clip the loop into the release. This will keep the light from the rod to the release from slipping. If the middle rod releases, send the closest rod to the boat to the spot where the middle rod was when the fish hit. Once you have reeled in the fish, let the rod out and then clip it in a release and send it out to the spot where the closest rod was before you sent it out the middle spot after the fish hit. I would start in the spring with mono flatlines for browns until you get proficient before trying copper or core. I usually run 3 or more rods off of one board. I run my boards out 100 - 150 to the side of the boat if the boat traffic is not too heavy. space them equally apart down the plainer line.

I think I've got the picture now. What do you use for releases, homemade or a certain brand? Also, Cayuga lake where I'll be starting this has fleas bad at times. If we use 30# flea flicker, how long of a light leader would you suggest for those spooky Browns?

Thanks for spelling this planer setup out for me,

Greg

Thanks Andy, that site spells it out really well.

What do all of you use to vary depth? The site talks about minidivers on some lines. Are there other ways to drop a mono line? I'm guessing with copper the line itself will drop to desired depth. And one other thought, is it best to use one line type with a multiple planer setup, or can you use both mono and copper?

Thanks,

Greg

You can use both off the same side but I tend to go with one or the other. In the spring, I run a copper off of one side for deep fish and a couple rods of the other board for high riding fish. You can use drop weights and rubberband or clip them to the line.

Greg,

All I use are shower curtain clips and rubber bands. They are cheap if you loose any and they work great. I don't like to attach to the lead core and I usually use 2 rubber bands with the longer coper setups. You can run copper, lead core, mini divers, and snap weights off of boards and yes you can mix up different types of setups on the same board but it is sometimes better and easier to set one side up one way and the other side higher or lower in the water column with a different type of presentation. This usually lets you move lines down the board line easier because they are similiar presentations. I would suggest taking the time to reset a side if there are any issues with possible tangles.

Good Luck,

Jeff

You fellas a great at answering questions and creating more :o

When adding weight, how do you know how much weight/line to let out to get to a desired depth? In Cayuga, we'll probably be looking to get to 15-40 feet down which I believe is sometimes deeper? than your looking to get to in Ontario. Also, on the rubberbands, how thick a band to hold the line but catch a nibbler?

Thanks for all the answers,

Greg

run your weights at the half way point, run your lengths fro 125 - 200

you should get about 8' per ounce + any diving your bait does. if you run flasher and flies you wont get hardly anything due to the intertia of the flasher fly compared to the inertia of the drop weight.

This is for about 2-2.5 speed

Greg,

I'll have to look at the size on the bag later but thet are no real heavy, I think either #17 or # 22. Usually a small fish on the line will add to the pull and the rod tip will bend more. This is easier to see if the rods are the same on that side. Sometimes the rod will bounce and let you know. Depends on how aggressive the fish are. I usually use snap weights when adding weight. They look like a release with a split ring at the bottom to add a lead weight to. You can buy this in a kit if you want to. You reel in to that point and remove the clip and finish. The split ring allows you to change the weight according to how much deeper you want to get.

The best way to learn is to go out and play around.

Good Luck,

Jeff

cheapest fastest way is shower curtain hooks with alligator clips with a small peice of 3/8 plastic or rubber tube. one stop at the home depot and half hour in the garage. whene the fish hits it pops out of the release and the release slides to the board and the planer line is clear to be reset with another. at the end of the day you just pull them all off the planer line. no way id spend 25 bucks for 6 releases whene you need 120 of them on a good day.

• 4 weeks later...

CUZ says I think i remember

Let the line closest to planner board out three times desired depth + 10% extra for drag (UP) on bigger diameter. I was also told use two rods on planner boards use shower clips and they will go out after the set by relaesing line to the clip(shower hook) Rod holder should be 30-35*above farthest out closest rod should be near level with surface. Cuz said it'll make it easier to figure which is which ifn we get a double