Ignition problem HELP?

seasquirrel

Ok I hate to admit defeat when it comes to wrenching on my own boat but.... I have a situation that maybe someone can give me ideas that I have not thought of.

I have a Searay Amberjack with twin 5.7 260 hp mercs with electronic igintion

The boat has a bridge with full dual station.

I have an automatic onboard charger which stopped working mid summer and that is when and why I noticed the problem.

Heres my problem:

After having the boat slipped and unused for a couple of days there seems to be a draw on the batteries. Not to the point where the batteries are dead but register on the gauges at about 50 percent or better. (boat is plugged in to shore power when slipped at the dock)

Both engines with crank over and sound like they are rolling over with plenty enough battery to fire up, but neither engine will fire.

If I go up on the bridge and hit the key (s) both engines will fire and run fine.

If I run it for a short time and charge up the batteries and use the boat I never have another issue and can start it at the main helm with no problem until the next time I go back up to the boat.

Is there some type of ignition amplifier that could be bad? I really want to get this fixed before next season. Thanks for any help you have to offer.

Dear SS,

What year is this boat? My old 86 270 Searay Amberjack with dual stations had one switch in the lower station that switched the starting controls to the upper station. Switch handle up....upper station starting. Switch down, lower station starting controls. These dual station boats do have quite a complicated harness.

I would get a voltmeter and check the voltage at the positive (+)coil terminal on each engine...when each ignition key is turned to the ON position. You should see 12.0 volts or more at the + coil terminal. If not, start checking wire terminations and wire runs for damage or corrosion, especially on the back of the ignition switches. All this assumes you have Mercruiser Thunderbolt IV or V ignition distributors and modules. This can be very time consuming!! Trouble shooting dual stations and correcting an electrical problem ranks you up with the GURU'S!

Does this have electric shift motors? I have also seen the neutral shift switches act up from age and corrosion. Let us know some more details please.

Respectfully submitted,

Jet Boat Bill

Jet boat Bill, Grey (seasquirrel) may have trouble correcting an electrical problem on a duel station Sea Ray, but if you want a guy that could steer a pickup truck with his feet, while drinkin a beer with one hand while holding a spotlight with the other and shooting that 8 point off his neighbors corn field at 40 MPH just after midnight, then you have you guy :yes::yes::beer::beer:

Thanks for the ideas and places to start guys. Keep in mind though that this problem does not exist when all the batteries are around 65 percent or better. I will check on the battery isolators L&M. PETE you aint seen nothin yet. I can do that on the way to work.

Fishtails I absolutely love my Amberjack. It handles big water excellent. I love the twin engines

(fast if I need it) the back deck and equally love the cabin and all its comforts of home. I have been tossing around the idea of selling her and getting something just a few years newer and possibly a touch bigger. I know where a nice 30' weekender is. :lol: