Best Smokers

Reel Doc

Make sure you buy a electric or propane. The charcoal ones are a lot tougher to regulate the heat. I just purchased an Smokehouse electric smoker from Gander Mountain this fall for 139.99. Lots of room. Works great.

Greg, I have been using a Cabelas propane smoker for over 7 years, before that I had a charcoal smoker. I like the propane smoker much better, far easier to use and regulate. Mine is stainless, which I think is a good idea too, since you will get a lot of funky stuff all over it, if you do much "mopping' while smoking. I know very little about the electric smokers- do they enable you to use a water bath? If not I would encourage you to consider a gas type, though they are probably more expensive. Speaking of smokers I better post my whole, butterflied, smoked venison haunch recipe!

All I know is that I have a heck of a time trying to hit 160 on my electric in the winter. I either have to get my smokin' done in the fall or pick a warm, windless day in the winter. My next smoker will be propane. Hopefully propane can get me to temp when the snow is deep. I've been using the masterbuilt electric. Before that a Luhr-Jensen chief electric. I love to smoke kings and venison roasts. Smoke those roasts and shave thin on slicer for great sandwich makins. Goose breast smoked and sliced thin is also very good.

Here's a couple things you can do; 1. Put foil in the water bowl 2. Put foil around the controls & on the bottom (excluding the area of your chips box/burner). My net eating cats pull away any foil on the outside so this doesn't work as well for me :@ Since my smoker is propane fired I feel pretty comfortable just dousing the outside w/ warm soapy water, giving it a brushing and rinsing it off (when I remember to do it ). I keep mine in the garage b/c wind will really raise the devil w/ temps. If it's real cold I kind of box it in w/ some fireboard & foil backed insulation. A real good intro to fish smoking is Scott & Tiffany Haugen's "Smoking Salmon & Steelhead, and anything written by Bill Jamison will steer you the right way on traditional BBQ dishes.

For the last 10 years or so, I've been using the old standard Brinkmann charcoal (R2D2) model with good results, but always wanted something with more racks.

So, I noticed that Bass Pro had the Masterbuilt Black Propane Square Smoker with four racks on sale for $150 and bought one yesterday. I only saved $20, but convinced my wife that it was a great deal!

I'm assembling it today, and will let you know how I like it soon.

Chowder, I like the sounds of your Rib Rub recipe. Have you tried it on a pork shoulder or pork steaks?

Jim

Chowder, I like the sounds of your Rib Rub recipe. Have you tried it on a pork shoulder or pork steaks?

Jim

You betcha, I use this basic rub a lot of ways by varying different ingredients (especially the cayenne). I will try to find time to post the whole, butterflied haunch recipe and "Mr Brown", an outstanding pork shoulder number! Hey Greg, I think the smoker that Jim is talking about would sure get you in the game & the price sounds right! Incidentally if you have a couple 2-3# venison roasts- they are a great thing to get started with. I like to tie them up w/ butcher string after I get them loaded w/ rub (net bags work good too), this keeps things together & helps prevent the complete falling apartness before you want to experience it.