Slinky's for the Lower Niagara River

I plan on making up some slinky's for the Lower Niagara River and was wondering what weight is usually required for the current at this location. I will be using 1/4" Para chord and #4 buck shot. The commercial made ones usually run from 1/2 oz. up to 3/4 oz. As I will be fishing from the bank this seems a little heavy to me. But then again, I'm used to fishing the smaller tribs with smaller flows. Any advice or information will be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I don't if you want to ,I went walleye Friday (4-23) trolling ripsticks in 13 ft. and could not keep the smallmouth off ,BIG fish.Lake Erie. 3miles.west of Vermillion Oh. Tubes are working .The bite will be going on for at least 2-3 more weeks.Mike

cut small pieces of pencil lead. smash one end w/ pliers and put a hole through it (small drill bit) for the snap to attach. 10x easier and 10x cheaper than slinkeys. your slinkies would be 10" long to fish that current compaired to a much smaller piece of lead. i bet that slinky would creat drag by itself making u go even heavier than needed. i have used both and prefer the lead. carry cutters w/ you and cut off lead if its too heavy.

HI: Ive been fishing slinkeys for years on the Bella Coola in BC It should be similar to the Niagra. I roll my own slikeys using 1/2in.sections of 1/4in lead wire. I seal the lower end of the para cord but leave the top end open so that I can add or subtract lead piecs to just get a clean bottom bounce. To give me a release if I hang up I connect the slinkey to a three way with a paper clip the release pressure can be varied by using the first or second loop of the clip.