trolling with 100 hp merc

jim_wny

Hi

I'm planning on using a 19 foot sylvan with a 100 hp merc ( set up with a trolling plate ) for trolling on lake ontario

Not going out real far and picking my days (weather).

Does anyone see any issues using a 2 stroke over extended hours for trolling

Thanks

jim

It should be no problem, as WB said it will gunk up the plugs over time because the oil mixture will not burn completely at low rpm and the residue will accumulate and foul the plugs. Keep a spare set handy, would not recommend leaning the mixture because of the lubrication needed to motor out and back from the fishing grounds. If the troll plate slows you down too much you can cut off some metal from the bottom of it to lessen the drag. Do not engage the plate until you are stopped and the gradually increase the rpm till you reach trolling speed. Remember to disengage before motoring in, they will bend. In lieu of a trolling plate you might also consider dragging sea bags or what we use to use were 5 gallon buckets with a hole in the bottom (cheap and they float so they won't get under the boat), just drag one on both sides of the boat to get speed down and rpm up.

Having run a 115 Mercury on an 18 Starcraft, a 115 Evinrude on a 17 MFG, you may in fact not have to use the trolling plate and you may have to kick it up a bit from slow troll. I have never had the problem with trolling a big two stroke and currently have a 75 Mercury.