trim tabs

dbutts

i'm having a hard time getting used to these trimtabs. the boat really wants to pull hard one way or another. my old 19' stingray, just gun it and steer, no worries. this boat wants to pull.any advice would be very helpful. its a penn yan outrage 225 with a 350 merc i.o.

go light and easy on the tabs, they take some getting used to if you've never used them before. A very small change in the tabs will make a big change in boat orientation. Once you get the hang of them, you can REALLY improve the ride of the boat in all kinds of seas. It's really nice to be able to level the ride when you have uneven weight distribution on the boat.

Tim

Your PY has a really deep V, therefore the tabs will really impact the ride by just small adjustments. On mine, I got used to them by starting with them all the way up, as if they were not there, and slowly lowering them in order to level out the ride as needed.

• 1 month later...

It must be common with all 225's, mine is very touchy. When I first got the boat and sorting it out, I found out that the PO or factory had wired the tabs backwards. That really threw me a curve when trying to figure-out the tabs while underway. I use very little tab to make adjustments. 99% of the time I run with them all the way up. If the tabs were half as long, they might be a little easier to use.

On a similar subject ( 225) have you guys thought about running a 4 blade prop to help with the low speed wagging? That is the only nagging thing with my 225, on plane it's fine. The more I run the boat the more I get used to it, but any improvement would help when running with the AP on.

John

Trim tabs,especially large ones,can drastically alter the ride of your boat with very little adjustments. I've scared a few people on my boat when I wasn't paying attention with the switch.Actually,it's kind of funny in a twisted way,watching the expression on their face when they think I'm making a barrel roll.

Your best bet is to start off with zero tabs and make small adjustments until the boat gets up on plane and rides level from port and starboard.Once you get used to them you'll know where they have to be for most conditions.

Tabs are a big help on most boats.In rough water in a head sea you can drop the tabs and keep the bow down,allowing for a much better and safer ride when under power.In a quartering or beam sea,you can make small adjustments to one tab to keep either the port or starboard side at a more level attitude to the water.

I also have a very deep vee steep deadrise on my boat and even though it can handle some nasty stuff,the tabs are a nice addition and a big help in ride & handling in crappy conditions.