LOC derby procedure question???

This is one of the reasons that everyone on the boat must be entered and is question that comes up often. Many times, numerous people handle the rod in the process of getting the fish to the boat, especially on a charter and this is all within the rules. One person may pull the rod from the rod holder and set the hook, then hand it off to another for their "turn". That person may get tired and hand it off to someone else and then a third of fourth person will net the fish. Who by the way is actually the person that "brings the fish into possesion" or loses it and brings down the wrath of all aboard.

This is one of those areas where the integrity of those on the boat come into play because when we are fishing, if we are honest with ourselves, we KNOW who caught the fish. Trying to maintian IGFA type rod handling regulations is way out of the scope of a Derby. Where problems arise with me, and the main reason the youth division was dropped, is when fish are for entered in a way to manipulate the standings. Let's say you caught a fish that made the board. When it's your turn at the rod you happen to land another fish that would make the board. Well you know if this fish is smaller than your previous one, it's no good. And, if it's larger you will knock your previous one out but if you let your buddy register it........Heck, you're out in the middle of the lake, who will know? Or, it won't place very high in the division but if I say my son/daughter caught the fish, maybe they can win an award.

Can I stop this from happening? No, not all the time but I do catch a few every year so I am aware of it happening. What everyone needs to think about is not only are you cheating the derby, you are cheating another contestant, youth or adult out of an honestly placed fish. How we conduct ourselves in public is one thing, what standards of conduct we practice when we are alone in a boat with clients, family or friends is a choice each of us has to make.

"Let's say you caught a fish that made the board. When it's your turn at the rod you happen to land another fish that would make the board. Well you know if this fish is smaller than your previous one, it's no good. And, if it's larger you will knock your previous one out but if you let your buddy register it.."

Dave,please post the most recent derby stats so everyone knows if it's worth running a fish to the scales or not. Why should a bunch of 10 lb trout die if they don't stand a chance at placing on the board.

This is one of the reasons that everyone on the boat must be entered and is question that comes up often. Many times, numerous people handle the rod in the process of getting the fish to the boat, especially on a charter and this is all within the rules. One person may pull the rod from the rod holder and set the hook, then hand it off to another for their "turn". That person may get tired and hand it off to someone else and then a third of fourth person will net the fish. Who by the way is actually the person that "brings the fish into possesion" or loses it and brings down the wrath of all aboard.

This is one of those areas where the integrity of those on the boat come into play because when we are fishing, if we are honest with ourselves, we KNOW who caught the fish. Trying to maintian IGFA type rod handling regulations is way out of the scope of a Derby. Where problems arise with me, and the main reason the youth division was dropped, is when fish are for entered in a way to manipulate the standings. Let's say you caught a fish that made the board. When it's your turn at the rod you happen to land another fish that would make the board. Well you know if this fish is smaller than your previous one, it's no good. And, if it's larger you will knock your previous one out but if you let your buddy register it........Heck, you're out in the middle of the lake, who will know? Or, it won't place very high in the division but if I say my son/daughter caught the fish, maybe they can win an award.

Can I stop this from happening? No, not all the time but I do catch a few every year so I am aware of it happening. What everyone needs to think about is not only are you cheating the derby, you are cheating another contestant, youth or adult out of an honestly placed fish. How we conduct ourselves in public is one thing, what standards of conduct we practice when we are alone in a boat with clients, family or friends is a choice each of us has to make.

Thanks for this.

lynd ive mentioned this before if we could call into weigh sta from water but now were really puttin a load to those guys....but with all the I phones out there we could axcess the site from the water and those of us with them (not me) could work togeather on a given channel ...................Ie: this is pegasus on ch 68 with a 12 lb steelie is it worth the trip to the scales.............maybe you could put a added note at each station (regerstration ) that if we all work togeather we can help eliminate excessive fish kills.

also if we work togeather it would take some of the load off the commitee and dave so they could update online as fast as the calls from weigh sta come in..============less next year derby winners killed (fish) very few of us keep big fish unless we think its a maybe...so between the bait and throwbacke well see some monster steelies and browns

lynd ive mentioned this before if we could call into weigh sta from water but now were really puttin a load to those guys....but with all the I phones out there we could axcess the site from the water and those of us with them (not me) could work togeather on a given channel ...................Ie: this is pegasus on ch 68 with a 12 lb steelie is it worth the trip to the scales.............maybe you could put a added note at each station (regerstration ) that if we all work togeather we can help eliminate excessive fish kills.

Ray I couldn't agree more with that statement but I want to see the "trend" in fish size to establish a basic idea of the previous years catch. This info is far greater to me in the early days of derby. We always wonder if we should run in a fish only to find it wouldn't/would have been bumped off that day

The "trend" for brown trout over the last three years have been that it takes almost the full derby to fill the board (Spring, Summer and Fall)

Steelhead take a little less time, but averages 6-12 days for the board to fill.

Lake trout fill pretty quick with the minimum going to 14-16 lbs.

Salmon take 5-7 days to fill.

As soon as weigh in sheets are faxed in, we place them on the board. Next to the name of the entrant is the date, so you can see if a fish has made the board that day to help check for the dialy winners. Sometimes we don't get fish sheets in a timely fashion and all goes out the window. With daily winners we must pay attention because you could win the daily prize with a fish that doesn't make the board, throwing another wrench into the mix.

I have daves cell phone number we all could call him every few minutes just to keep up to date :lol::D:rofl: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,We :inlove: you dave keep up the good work !!!!! (all of you folks behind the scenes including the weigh stations)....Being in the derbys adds that extra excitement to a fishing trip, and gives us all a chance to see are name in lights .....well sometimes only for a day :( ,till we get BUMPED. so to all the guys who have bumped me off the board in the past i give you the L.O.U. salute :mooning::lol:

My team has released many fish that would be in the top 20. we feel it is better to release the fish , unless it has a shot at the top 3. I agree if there where faster updates and a dedicated channel there should be WWAAYYY less fish kill. With wireless internet, updating could and maybe even should be immediate, we as anglers could monitor the boards and relay to others info as requested. It is a great idea and really would not require a great deal of effort to pull off.