advise and pros and cons to this boats any input

kdawg

I am looking to get a new to me used boat with a hard top 24-28' the boats i have found are a thompson, penn yan, and a baha what are the pluses and minuses of these boats. I will have it surveyed. But just looking for input on these boats how they handle the water and fish. Thanks

Im sure you will get alot of advise here from owners of makes that you have mentioned. But I would suggest walking down to the dock in Oswego if that is the port you frequent, and speak to boat owners of makes and models that you like. All the boats that you have mentioned are docked there and i'm sure you can get a good feel for what they have to offer. IMO Good luck :yes:

All three boats you have mentioned are solid rigs. I love how deep the Thompsons are. Really nice platforms. What more can be said about Penn Yans. Ive fished out of both of these boats and you can't go wrong.

As far as Baha's....That's my rig now. In fact its my second one. In 1993 we purchased one brand new and fished one season. While in winter storage some A$$hole set the warehouse on fire(Ruled an arson) and we lost the boat. We managed to get it together and purchased another Baha. Same identical rig that burned. Haven't had any hull issues, no stringer or transom problems. The one thing I will tell you is I'm totally obsessed with keeping the bilge clean and motors running tip top.

My advise would be to have a dry dock survey done by e reputable guy. A sea trial is also a must. Like I said before, all three vessels are strong lake boats. Good luck and just remember what B.O.A.T stands for......"Break Out Another Thousand." ...Tight lines

Any one of those brand of boats you mentioned are good ones. Make sure you get a Marine Survey done on the boat even if it is a couple years old. I put $6,000 into mine because the stringers, part of the gunnel and transom were rotted out last season.

• 2 weeks later...

All three are good hull designs for fishing the great lakes. Areas of concern;

Bahas can have premature stringer / transum failure, give each motor mount a slight turn with a wrench, if it turns easy it is rotted. Then with a hammer lightly tap the stringer and transum listen for solid thump (good) or hollow sound (not good). Also if it is a single inboard can you dock it?? Often times big and spacious and the original family still ownes + runs the company.

Thompsons can have premature floor failure, some are all plywood and others are glass liner over plywood. Back in the day some Thompsons were refloored 2 - 3 years after they were put into service. The company is gone.

Penn Yan: tough boat. Out of business but TJ can help.

Used boats: Owner who takes good care = good boat. Owner who doesn't care = bad boat.

Tim Habecker

Krenzer Marine

I like the bahas. i didnt know they had those problems. thanks for the info on what to look for. i currently own a sea ray, but i would like to move to a better fishing platform and something with a comfortable cabin with like what i have. I was looking at the baha at krenzer the other day.