Twin Outboards vs single IO gas mileage

DEFIANCE1

Ive started to look for a new boat and plan on purchasing one over the winter or next spring. Been considering something like the 2600 coastal. How would twin 200hp outboards (2 stroke) compare to the 454 in this boat for gas mileage? In the long run will i get better mileage out of the outboards because 1 will only be running while trolling or will the single IO result in better gas mileage? Thanks for any input

The rule of fist for an outboard when run at WOT (wide open throttle) is 10% of the horse power rating per hour.So one 200 HP engine will burn 20 gallon per hour at WOT. 2 200s will burn 40 gallons per hour,but running a second outboard will only give you an additional 30% push.

My guess is that your I/O does a lot better than that.

You may want to look into buying a 10 hp kicker with your I/O

I think if I really wanted a 26 powered by outboard, it would have to be a big single 300. Other factors include the beam of the boat. 8.5 beam is easy to push around but a 10 foot is pretty tough. Unless you are trying to achieve speeds in excess of 40 mph for any reason. A single is WAY less expensive than a twin just to gain 100hp. Also if you go with the four stroke version the fuel consumption will be way less than two stroke. The models with digital throttle control are very fuel efficient compared to two strokes....and you always have to factor in 1 gal of two stroke TCW 3 every 50 gal of gas for each outboard at a cost of around $24.00 a gal for the oil. SO two of those monsters running is very very expensive at 40 gals (which I think is a tad lite in my experience) per hour. Gas 3.20 a gal X 40= $128.00 + 24 for oil= 152 bucks for an hour ride.

The single will also give you the room you want in the transom for a kicker and room in the cockpit as well. The Out board will have a little less weight than a 454 too. The 454 is probably the cheaper way to equip the boat for power however, but maybe not. It is something to consider in the price.

In case your intrested in used ...this one I found is for sale and equiped for Lake Ontario...fresh water boat..wellcraft 2600 coastal 10 ft beam. http://www.listown.com/books/ny/201002/655987.htm

Mark

PS...found again more pics http://boats.oodle.com/view/ny-1994-26- ... hester-ny/

Big boats are giving way to small boats due to the cost of gasoline and the economy. I know of 65 foot fish tugs that use 180 HP diesels every day. The days of flying out on the water are coming to an end. Get used to 12 MPH boats. Time is cheaper than gasoline.