Sutton Spoons

Can anyone give some info on Sutton's. 44s and 88s are all I've seen. All in brass. All in single hook. All smooth. These were from the pulling copper days.

What do you use?

Silver? Brass? Silver/Brass combo?

Smooth? Hammered?

Single hook? Treble hook?

Anything other than 44s and 88s?

Just Lakers?

Any special speed or technique?

Sutton's Hardware store in Naples has all of them, so does B & E in Ontario,

I heard a guy on the radio this morning on canandaigua lake talking about all the Sutton's he ran this morning, 22, 44, 38, and so on. I have run 22 and 44, in silver, smooth and hammered and they have trebles.

I have caught fish on them, but I usually use attractors and flies. I think a slow troll is preferred with the light flutter spoon action of a Sutton.

Lead core best for me........88..38..71..I like silver on cloudy days...silver-gold on sunny days. Hammered works best for me...I like the single hooks because they dont hook a lot of bottom junk and fish are easier to release. I am convinced that the biggest lakers are right on the bottom and slower is better...One of the biggest fish I ever caught was on a silver hammered 98 ( little bigger ) than 88...Two years ago I got a 10 lb. brown off the boy scout camp on a 37 which is odd shaped and I had painted it purple-green stripes.... :)