Oneida Lake Fishing.

Shane Muckey

Stopped center pinning steelhead on May 20th. Since then, been trying to fish Oneida Lake atleast 3 days a week. Since spring came 3 weeks early this year, the fish rapidly went to there late spring and summer haunts early providing some very consistant fishing so far. In the last 2 weeks I have found good numbers of walleye sonar jigging in 28-32 foot gradual flats and some good bucktail jigging with a piece of worm on the the transitional slopes on the mid lake shoals, best depths being on slightly sharp drops in the 18-28 foot range. When these bites slow, been hitting many accidental eyes in the 9-14 foot weed clumps mid day fishing for smallmouth with crankbaits and tube jigs. All in all, it's been very consistant action compared to some spring's if you figure out a good pattern. Here's a few pic's.

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0220-2.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0230-1-1.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

Nice eyes ,Thanks for the excellent report. Use any gulp alive on those jig's? I have had limited sucess with it. Wondering if anyone else is doing better with the stuff. The Linders seem to do so good with it. :lol:

2 Saturday's ago we were forced to fish the far western end because of winds, the usual wasn't producing as good as we liked, so my buddy Jay put a gulp alive minnow in smelt on a hot pink 3/8 oz. jig head. We put the bags out and he casted ahead and jigged it back to the boat in 14 feet of water just off a weed line. It was a strong wind drift, he added 2 walleye to our day with that method before grabbing another rod on the next drift. Last year, we were forced to the west end and me and my buddy Jim did the same method on the 18 foot flats between Phillips point and Wantry, we jigged up 4 eyes too the boat on a long drift with 3/8 orange heads. Never had a day where they just flat out outfished other methods or anything, but they get some. Hope this helps.

The crawler harness/bouncer bite is on now.

Silver w/chatruese/red beads.

Holograhic perch patterns, as well, both with 1" floats, seemed to be the ticket for us this weekend.

Good perch are coming to those too. :)

The crawler harness/bouncer bite is on now.

Silver w/chatruese/red beads.

Holograhic perch patterns, as well, both with 1" floats, seemed to be the ticket for us this weekend.

Good perch are coming to those too. :)

Hey thanks for the update Fish Hunter, I haven't tryed worm harnesses yet this year. Were you using them for deep eyes or shallow? The reason I ask is that I started having trouble getting consistant numbers shallow after Wednesday, so went back to fishing deep.

Put a 3 hour shift in yesterday and Saturday evening out a bit deeper, picked up 2 limits jigging sonars in 30-38 feet Saturday and a limit yesterday jigging bucktails in 22-26 feet. Surface temp was 72 degrees today.

A couple pic's from last wednesday.

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

34-38 fow.

.09-1.2 mph GPS.

Seems that the floats were very beneficial, as we started out with one rigged that way, and that was the one that was getting the bites, so all were pulled and adjusted and went from there. Smelly-Jelly Walleye Feast, DOES make a difference.

We were pulling boards, and two rods off the side too.

They crawler harness bite, out deep, will continue to be good for about 4, 6-7 weeks from what I've seen over the years. :)

thanks guys headed there for two days saturday and sunday. see ya at 119 with the other used boat super center

Spent a wonderful evening out near 119 tonight jigging sonars in 32-38 fow, picked up 6 keeper eyes, some sheepshead, a monster catfish and some other bi catchables. Awesome sunset and nice chop after sweltering in a little heat , great sunset.. Good luck this weekend salmonite. :)

Never know what you'll get jigging sonars in Oneida.

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

Although I don't fish Oneida yet, its nice to see some good Walleye catching information for a change. Seems most folks don't give out Walleye info so freely. Nice catch guys. Thanks

patriot,

head over to myfishfinder.com and get 5 posts, then you can see the fishing reports in ny. So many good guys including snagger over there giving out lots of info on onieda. There are like 100 pages of reports just for this year! :yes:

snagger,

thanks for the info. I gotta get some sonars... never fished em before but i keep hearing they do so good on onieda.

scott

The jig fisherman I know, use hand-made ones with green prism tape, and #4 hooks.

One caught a 28"er this past week.

Scott

THAT'S A REAL MONSTER FOR ONEIDA!!!

The green prism tape is very popular with the guys in the pulaski area where I live too.

I use many colors and the green tape is one them.

Back in November of 2008 I got a Oneida personal best of 29" 8.9lbs. on perch color

Me and my good friend Jeffrey were out today jigging sonars, we had an absolute riot with the sheepshead,

My right shoulder is killing me right now, great day.

put a total of 46 fish in the boat total in 8 hrs, also got 9 keeper eyes, but none good enough for todays tourney!

Nice talking too you Fish Hunter!!!

Oneida sonar mixed bag!!

IMG_0345.jpg

Jigged sonars with another good friend of mine Wayno from Ithaca today on Oneida, not quite as good as yesterday, but put 28 fish in the boat from 1-8 pm, best bite again between 1-4pm. Fished 2 different depths 24-27 fow and 32-36 fow, got some monster sheepshead, a couple jumbo's and 6 eyes, 5 keepers between 17 1/4 and 20 inches, nothing big, just good eaters. Great day to be on the water. :) took a few pic's.

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0365-1.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0355.jpgIMG_0359.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled # 5-7 Rapalas in 38 fow last Saturday.

34-35 down, 15 ft off the ball. 1.8-2.0 mph.

Also ran Rapala "trolls to" off the big boards.

Found 'em, and ended up with our limit.

Pretty much last of Oneida for the year, as we now migrate up to Lake Ontario.

Fish primarily in/around the Mexico Bay/ Sandy Pond area.

Fish Hunter II is out of the barn,(22 ft Starcaft Islander) and ready to be fitted with my rocket launcher/bird tree/net holder system, I manufactured. Pretty damn nice if I do say so.

Need more room, for more rods.

Scott

Pulled # 5-7 Rapalas in 38 fow last Saturday.

34-35 down, 15 ft off the ball. 1.8-2.0 mph.

Also ran Rapala "trolls to" off the big boards.

Found 'em, and ended up with our limit.

Pretty much last of Oneida for the year, as we now migrate up to Lake Ontario.

Fish primarily in/around the Mexico Bay/ Sandy Pond area.

Fish Hunter II is out of the barn,(22 ft Starcaft Islander) and ready to be fitted with my rocket launcher/bird tree/net holder system, I manufactured. Pretty damn nice if I do say so.

Need more room, for more rods.

Scott

It's that time of year again, I only got a month left til I can't fish anymore, then it's salmon season again.

Fished 5 out of the last 7 days sonar jigging on Oneida, been spotty but decent, every day they go a little deeper, been limiting out on eyes except one morning I had boat trouble...with the best day being 6 keepers, been getting alot of big sheepshead and good size perch too. Started last saturday at 23-28 feet ended up at 35-42 feet by yesterday, with a better portion of walleyes at that depth, compared to alot of other species mixed in shallower.

switched from fishing afternoons too the morning with the heat wave, alot more boats early, not used to that. But the fishing is better and more comfortable out. Well good luck out there.