Monofilament

How long is mono line good for on the reel. Does it need to be changed every year? Also if I would buy a bulk spool but only use a few hundred yards this year would that line still on the bulk spool still be good for several years?

If kept in q cool dark dry place the bulk spool should be good for years. It id sunlight and use that ruins it. I keep my rods in the cabin and change line every 2-3 years. If in doubt just change it

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

As rd said store it in a cool dark place. (not on the boat) Actually it's uv light that deterioates it so don't store it under flourescent lights. How long it's good for also depend on the #test. 30 Lb will deterioate and may only be as strong as 20 #, but hey that's still pretty strong. 8# on the other hand.....

When you can pull it through your fingers and get a white powder on your fingers, toss it.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I spooled my rigger reels with 30# power pro this year and then tied on 100 feet of 30# big game. This gives me 1200 feet of line on my Daiwa 47LC reels. I've been spooled a couple of time by big kings on straight mono. This gives me enough line for anything and I only need to replace the 100 feet of mono each year. I had anxiety about flees on the PP but, they are deeper than the PP so they only accumulate on the mono. The mono acts as a shock absorber so, I'm getting the best of both worlds.