What kind of wire?

I noticed that everyone seems to be running wire on their dipseys. I have two rods that are rigged up with wire, but it is the braided wire. I was told by a friend that I would be better off switching over to the single strand wire. I don't use wire all that often and wanted to get opinions on if I should make the switch.

Stranded wire is the way to go. 7 strand or the newer introduction of 19 strand which is rounder and more flexible. Single strand is not a great wire due to it's kinky attitude. Most every one uses 7 strand, and although I don't use wire for running my dipsys I have seen the effect of the mutistrand and it is very good in respect to depth and flea reduction. No stretch and easier to trip the dipsy for retrieval. You will have some issues with guide wear unless you use a twilly tip on your rod to give the wire a buffer as it comes and goes off the tip.

The only reason I haven't gotten into the wire setups is I have gotten used to running 30lb mono dipseys size 0 as "down and out" setups off the outboard down riggers which gives me the depth I'm targeting and a closer spread to the rigger sets. As time and cash allows (bigger reels, longer rods, wire and twilly), I will dedicate a couple more rods to just wire dipseys.

Mark