RV sighting

I was off Hamlin Beach Sunday and spotted a large vessel apparently trawling in approx. 50 fow. Tug shaped w/ dark hull appeared to be moving at fast troll from West to East, no turns kept going. Looked from where I was like they had a cable running off the stern winch - my guess they were trawling. Anybody have an idea which research vessel this might have been and what they were looking for?

Keep forgetting the binocs :evil: makes it easier to see what lures Legacy, Persistence , and Rebel are catching fish on !! :P

By the way, caught nothing but Gobies off the Sandy mouth, the pumping station and Yanty. No smallies. A few fish up the creek - kids got into sunnies, perch, small bass. Watched a guy take a few hammer handle pike.

When i used to fish in Olcott every spring there used to be a trawler there that was a DEC study boat.They used it for tests on fish they netted.They were only in port for a day or two and then they left.If i remember correctly the boat name was Kaho and the port name was Oswego.This was 15 or so years ago.

Dear C & R, The vessel was most likely the Research Vessel KAHO, 65 ft. in length. Their home base is Oswego Harbor. I have seen them in every corner of Lake Ontario (US & Canada). The hull is a trawler type with a high bow and the name KAHO on both sides. A large net wheel is mounted aft. The flag displayed used to be a NOAA flag but now may be a GLFC flag? It is best to observe the day markings over the cabin. You may see 2 black diamonds pointing at each other or ball/diamond/ball displayed. The markings tell you the type of activity. THIS IS A TRUE registered fishing vessel according to maritime rules. THE INTERESTING fact to understand is they have the right of way over every other vessel (including sailboats) when displaying these day marks. If you stray into their gear, you are responsible for damage to the gear! Most sailboaters are not aware of this. Best to stay far from the KAHO since their gear/nets can be quite far from their position.....Sincerely, Jet Boat Bill

Saw Kaho (Oswego, NY) docked in the Genny near the yacht club on Saturday night. Had a quick conversation back and forth with a crew member and he said they were doing some research on baitfish. There was a second trawler docked with it, but I didn't catch the name.

USGS operates the Kaho:

RVKaho.jpg

NYSDEC operates the Seth Green.

Seth Green is smaller than Kaho. Both used for preyfish assessment on Big-O. Seth Green usually makes the cross lake trawls & hydroacoustic surveys. Lots of other research also done with both on Big-O.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Sorry for a delayed reply, been working. Lawn needs attention now, fish tomorrow??

Thanks for the info guys. :)

From the descriptions and picture - it was the Kaho. Right on.

Looked like one of those shrimp boats you see down South and figured it was an RV. Knew it wasn't the Seth Green. It was flying a US flag, but also another flag never seen before. Like I said, never got close enough to read a name (don't know what they're pulling, don't want to get into it).

That's it, Binocs are going in the boat right now while I'm thinging of it!

hey guys the boat your refering to was the "seth green". we spent sunday morning trolling around each other in 200-260 fow. real impressive trolling rig.......