LOC Derby?

joejv4

OK, So we've got a crew of us headed out Monday morning with Capt. Joe of TSI Charters in Oswego, and I'm trying to figure out how this LOC Derby works and where are the weigh stations, etc?

Here's what I understand so far...

Everyone on the boat must be registered

$30 for the whole Fall Derby or $15 for one day

How exactly does the "witness" thing work?

Where do you go to get fish weighed?

Can the charter captains sell registration cards?

I read through the rules on the site, but am looking for the normal english version instead of "legalese".

Someone want to chime in and give the low-down?

your captain can register you online ! weigh in stations are all over the lake and there is one right at ur port you will be leaving from ! your witness has to sign off on your weigh in slip should you get one to weigh in . you should call the captain to make sure he to is also signed up for this derby, rules state that everyone one on the boat must be. hope this helps

LOC doesnt start til the 20th

LOL! Our charter is Monday the 23rd... It didn't hit me until late this afternoon that I'm so freaking psyched to go that I pretty much made myself skip a weeK!!!!!

Been several years since the act of chasing salmonids didn't involve wading up to the Varick Dam in the fall!!!!!

• 1 month later...

We got canned by the weather on the 23rd!

Being late in the season, Joe (TSI Charters) didn't have any more available dates, but being the good guy he is, gave us some options on what to do.

Ended up, we took him up on his offer to put us on another boat... So September 1, we hit the lake with Capt. Pete Lahosky (LOU Member) aboard the Prime Time for four hours. We put 7 kings and a coho in the box and had a great time!!!!

A big thank you goes out to Capt. Pete and First Mate Cy for putting us on the fish and providing a great experience for all of us - another thank you goes out to Joe Orsen, for taking care of us and setting us up with a fellow charter captain who knows his stuff!!!! As an extra thank you, both Charter Services now have permanent links on my Upstate NY Fishing forum. Thanks guys!

We had decided we were more interested in fishing than taking our chances in the LOC derby, and as it turned out, we chose right. Big fish for our crew for the day was right around 30 lbs, and at that point the leaderboard already had a 39.5lber on it.

iaXYJ.jpg

ib6Xi.jpg