Cayuga 9/11

chowder

A slow day on Cayuga for us today. Fished with Greg (Reel Doc) and his son Spencer and despite an early triple that had everybody pumped up it kind of dragged into a long morning w/ a screen full of pre spawn lakers on a flat, bright day. Spencer was a real trooper and kept reeling in lines to change out and making inspired choices on spoons that I could not bring to fruition. Thanks for putting up w/ me guys - we'll get even w/ those fish yet.

I dropped those guys off @ 1:00 and looked at the screen off Willow creek and it just looked like the same deal, so I dropped the hammer and shot up to Sheldrake. I noodled around from 70 -370 looking at the screen for a bit and there were decidedly less fish which I took as a positive sign b/c I figured maybe these fish weren't quite into a pre spawn mood yet. I set up a spread and bang,bang, bang, bang I picked up 3 lakers and 19" Salmon (released). Now I'm thinking I'm smart right? Then I went an hour and a half w/ nothing and decided that 'smart' probably wasn't the right word. Stowed my gear and stuffed it back down to Myers. Split was just heading out as I pulled out & I hope he got into a late day bite or figured something out that I didn't. Anyway I got a bunch of premium fillets, marinating in Lemon Garlicious and ready for the grill , got some rice pilaf going, fresh beans from the garden and a cold Saranac, hey this day wasn't bad at all, what am I complaining about!

Hey Vic, nothing very secret about Salimeda's Lemon garlicious marinade, great for grilling chicken and fish. I fillet the fish, rinse the blood, pat dry w/ paper towel, then put the fillet's in a ziplock bag and add a generous shot of either Salimeda's Lemon garlicious marinade or peppercorn parmesan ranch dressing. I stick the bag in the fridge while I'm getting the side dishes together and then get the grill going. I like to use a gas grill for this dish and I like it to be HOT. I put the fillets from 2 or 3 trout or salmon (4-6lb apiece tops) in for 3-4 min, flip em' over and another 4-5 on the other side. I like a little blackened action on the outer sides but just flaking on the majority of the fillet (unfortunately it's far too easy to over cook a delicate trout fillet on the grill). Bon appetite -Andy

P.S. As Ray K has said many times; if you want top flavor, it's just essential to get the fish bled and on ice immediately. Sorry Greg, forgot to bleed those fish you guys took home, that monster that ripped the 500' copper must have thrown off my game ;)

Andy, For alittle zip once and a while try Lupos Buffalo Spedie Marinade. When we have company over we'll do that on a couple fillets and a couple in lemon garlic. It has just a nice zip - never too much for even the "mild at heart" people.

Bunch of ways, tell ya how I do it. Put a piece of rope thru the gill plate on side of the fish and out thru the mouth, secure both ends on a cleat at the side of the transom w/ the least amount of stuff. With the fish suspended over the water by the rope in your left hand (assuming you are right handed) I cut through both sides gills w/ a nice pair of heavy scissors that T-Con gave me :yes: Then I drop the fish in the drink for a bit, when it's bled out I stick it on ice in the box.Other guys push the head up/ snapping the neck & main artery which might be more humane (but real hard to do on a big King) if I have time it's really best to fillet them or atleast gut them right there on the water, but leave the skins on in case the DEC looks you over (they want to see skin for species ID).

Here's Andy and my son Spencer with Saturday's catch less Monster Al.

If you guys are cooking up fish and want an easy bake that can taste like fried try this:

Preheat oven to bake at 550. It'll take longer to reach temp than the fish prep time.

Soak fillets in milk with Sea Salt added for a couple minutes, drain and pat in your favorite bread crumbs or crushed crackers, and for a little heat add Old Bay seasoning to the crumbs. Melt 1 to 1 & 1/2 Tablespoons butter per fillet and pour over the fillets. Put in the upper third of the oven for 5 minutes, then shut off the oven and check till browned the way you like, 3-5 more minutes depending on fillet thickness and prefered amount of crunch.

I picked this up out of a Salt Water mag a few years ago, and it was named Spencer's Fish, so sure enough, we cooked his catch of the other day that way. It works great on any white fish fillets and judging by how the kids eat it, is good on the medium Lakers as well.

Oh, and Andy, I'll pair it with a Corona in the summer and Talisker in the winter, but around here many would say a local Dry Reisling is the ticket. :)

Greg

yi45S.jpg

Greg, you bring the Finger lakes Reisling and some of that Spencer's recipe, I'll bring some of my grilled 'garlicious' and some Saranac and we'll have ourselves a Pah-tee!

P.S. since we're on the baked fish theme, here's my winter time recipe that my boys call 'Seneca Surprise' use 2 trout or Salmon filleted/skinned w/ pin bones removed. Put em in a baking dish and cover w/ a mixture of blue cheese ranch dressing, and sour cream, cover this w/ sliced onions and cover the onions w/ sliced tomatoes, peppers, and black olives, grind some fresh black pepper on and sprinkle w/ parmesan. I bake it @ 350 for as long as it takes to knock back some Black &Tans w/ my neighbor.