need info on arrow stoppers for hunting turkey w/ bow

chowder

I've taken numerous turkeys over the years w/ both recurves and compounds and have yet to figure out a fool proof way to keep from losing arrows & birds due to pass thru. This is much more of a problem for me when I stalk the birds and draw on them from a kneeling position. I've used 2 different kinds of older generation 'keepers' or arrow stoppers & not real happy w/ either. Back when I was using a recurve a fair amount I lost very few arrows & birds b/c the considerably lower poundage of the bow greatly decreased pass thru but sadly I really just don't have the time anymore to keep up my instinctive archery skills and I basically just use my compound now days. Anybody got something that's really worked well for them w/ a 55lb compound & carbon arrows that's relatively inexpensive? Thanks, -Andy

Andy itshard to belive .......a 6ft ,300lb plus hunter still hunting a 15 lb bird...nexy time ya get close just hollar BOO!! when they pass out run up and wac em in the head with a dry cow chip.. I saw some good stuff at bass pro the other day but at a glance so I dont know what the "stopping ability" was.

little confused on a 33in arrow with a 1.5 in broad head passes through a turkey and they get away>]\.... Have ya ever tried to hit the vitals area? Ive read thats a good place to shoot them..

maybe that old back up bowcranked down to 50 lbs and a trip to dicks for some cheep arrows might be yer best salution ...or ya could tie some 50 lb power pro to the tip a

oh 30 yds, tie theother end to yer ankle t.hat should cut down on lost arrows..

HHmm whats that old saying "Its hard to soar with the eagles when yer running with the turkeys"

Thanks Ray, but I'm only 210 lbs :D Actually it's real common to zip an arrow thru a turkey's vitals and have it fly away! For one thing a turkey's respiratory system is very different from deer,elk,etc so they can sustain a lot of damage and still breath effectively also, they just don't go into shock like more complex animals (hence the phrase; 'running around like a chicken with it's head cut off') Birds hit in the vitals don't live but ya can't find it (usually) and you often lose the arrow too. Best shot for me is in the lower part of the back, thru the spine & pin it to the ground, but it's tough to get them to hold that pose ;) -Andy

Andy,I've never lost a bird,wait a second I never hit one. I only had two or three chances while hunting deer,I worked on head shots at the range up to 30yds,but the 3d targets arn't moving. If I miss the head I don't wound them. I'm shooting in the 53lb. range and shoot 400 Bemen ICSshifts,but 2013 alum.shoot the same,and there a lot cheeper.Don't louse them in the hay lot, I hear alum. isn't good for the cows. ;( .

So, I've seen those guillotine heads at Gander and I thought, "That would be the trick for turkey", but you'd have to switch arrows in the stand while you're hunting deer. Anyone have comments on the guillotines?

No comments on the Guillotine heads, don't know anything about them (I try pretty hard to stay away from stores when I'm carrying my wallet) for the past 6 years I've hunted turkey using banged up 1" Rocket aeroheads that I've accumulated from using them for deer, b4 that I used banged up Muzzy's.

OK, made the mistake of waiting at the archery shop for a new batch of arrows to be made and of course I had my wallet w/ me so I wound up buying a package of G5 Small Game Heads ($19/3 heads). They get pretty good reviews on Archery talk. I'll post my opinion after I've tried em' on some birds or squirrels. -Andy