I Have a CHALLENGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RUNNIN REBEL

Well this is my really 1st. year bow hunting (purchased 1st bow ever last year) I have done my homework/patterning/time/conditions/food/bedding BLA-BLA-BLA........ I have let 6 deer go by already in 2 PM hunts here ALL ranged @ 25 yards or less... THE BUCK i have picked out is NOT the biggest or best trophy here.... BUT here comes the challenge HE only has 1 EYE (left eye only)!!!!!!!! I have video him SEVERAL times and have a file of pictures. He will not use his vision at ALL DURING DAYLIGHT HOURS. ALL nite videos where he relies on sense of smell and hearing in order to move about property and camera locations. His nose is always in the air or smelling ground. He will back up in the dark to go another way after smelling branches i touched on trails.

Tell me what you guy,s think.

I believe he will not run like most deer in the daylight and has a better sense of smell/taste/hearing because of this. He visits scrapes & food at nite 10 Pm-3 am typically.

e3UQi.jpg

This is pic of 1 EYE "JACK" on a buck run i use to see the different bucks and times they come threw.

6Uvli.jpg

He stays here for 8 MINUTES before moving!!!!!!!!!

He EVALUATES EVERY position here, this time the next nite earlier.....

6UHP0.jpg

Most other bucks fall for this mug shot trick EVERY TIME

6VkJi.jpg

6VscJ.jpg

6Vxc0.jpg

When the Rut kicks in his hormones will change the game for you. Hes gonna be checking does at some point during the day. Not sure about the enhanced senses due to being a one eye. Could be just hunting pressure that has made him nocturnal or a past experience. Good bucks are smart bucks and eventually make a mistake, the question is are you gonna be there when it happens. My approach to a deer like this would be to just monitor him via trail cams and keep the pressure off him till the rut comes on. The less he knows your there the more likely he will not be as timid checking does in the daytime. However if there is other hunters putting the pressure on him I would take a long scent free shower, put on freshly scent free washed clothes, rubber boots, spray down every peice of equipment and myself and get in the woods well before daylight downwind of his bedding area. Tickle some antlers and blow some grunts his way and hope for the best. Either way congrats on getting into bowhunting its my favorite time in the woods. Your first one is the one you will remember the most.

even with one eye he can pick out a 300 lb squirrel sitting in a apple tree probly eating Mc Donalds happy meals..all deer specially after 2.5 yrs will become shy real quick..Yes their are some big ones taken early usually the first few days of bow season after letting their guard down from the "off" season..This may strike you as a little nuts but smart deer can be taken easy by the simple tactic......I better not tell or all big bucks in the state will be gone..

.You might try some fishing tactics,simply mount your riggers at several locations throughout the farm about 20 ft in the air to the "trap pattern" and think of you as being the dip...er i mean dypsy..make a hunter scarcrow for each rigger oh name them larry or some other foollish name chad might work.

set a timer at 1/2 hr intervals for them to pop up and spook the deer in your direction...

If this doesnt work then i guess I'll share my BIG BUCK HUNTING SECRET:

YES ITS BUFFY HUNTINGLAF IF YOU WILL BUT IT WORKS EVERY YEAR FOR ME.....

gUESS ID HAVE TO SEE THE LAYOUT OF THE FARM to help ya getting this guy with a nose as sharp as a razor and depending on it for survival as all do,you need to find his "bedroom" and using the wind hope to setup for a am hunt..just remember this buck is pattering you not you him,your approach must be 180 deg different (usually) ..think outa the box leave the happy meals in the truck (the toys too) all the cover sent ,spray,and doe pee in the world ant gonne fool a trained nose its the 3 w's wind ,wind,wind..A good trackin dog hunts with his nose to the ground cause sent falls down (cept methane) if he has his nose high as you say then think of him as a springer using the lingering (air bound )sents to guide him...Its safer for him to move at nite when the air is still and sent (pools) around him..avoid hunting those times (calm or no wind) ..think of this larry is driving the boat and drops a good one you can smell it in the back of the boat for 5 min even at 20 mph, imagine what this buck smells with no wind..

Or do the buffy thing when he falls down laffin run up to him with your fish club and wack him in the back of the head at the first vertibra.

Oh another thought how many new guys do you hear of getting a big buck..?? Their first time out ??

my belife is not a big deer runs up to the new guy feelin sorry for him so he can shoot it..

But the new guy is totally clueless and sits in a spot most say is a stupid spot cause we see all the deer using the trail over there....Um bucks in high alert dont use that trail either .......think and think outa the box..

Get up late, eat breakfast, still-hunt to stand location-be in stand by 9:30, hunt the 10-12:00 "bucks running/feeding all night....get up late to check rubs and scrapes" pattern that is prevalent in October.

A few years ago my buddie and I were driving out of our property after a afternoon hunt and came upon a 6 pt feeding next to a corn hopper belonging to a farmer. We drove right up to the deer from his rear within 30 feet and he didn't move. We got out of the truck and walked up to the deer from the side. He ran a short distance after we got up along side of him within 20 feet, then walked away. Wierd? a week later my dad sees this deer on a morning hunt a couple hundred yards away. He didn't know it was the same "Stupid" deer. The buck walks near him within 50 yards and beds down. After the hunt he got own and stalked towards the buck and got within bow range. The buck stands up but dosn't look at him it looks in another direction from where my dad was coming from.. He shoots and the deer runs off. A short track job later and he collects his nice big healty 6 pt. I had the job of cutting the deer that night. I recognized the deer and we wondered what the problem was with the deer that acted so "Stupid". When I got to sawing the scull cap out the saw blade wouldn't cut all the way down into the skull from behind the rack . Eventually I realized there was a broadhead buried into the skull all the way in. Just the threads were just poking out of his head under the fur slightly in front of the left antler base.. When I poped the skull cap off, the area that the braodhead occupied was a thick liquid that actually poured out. I would say that one third of his brain was liquid. Apparently he was deaf and blind based on the way he acted in the two encounters with us. The season was about 4 weeks old so he could have been in that condition for a while. Its amazing that that deer was still on his feet.

I don't know what that has to do with Jerrys one eyed deer but I thought it was a cool story.

FX- Hang stand on the right side of the trail

Gill t- eye patch hunting & to bed

on the lam- Deaf/dumb & blind traits

Larry- 1 eye Robo deer "the Patterson" buck

Ray K----Talking jibberish like Salmon Bound1 Bob

I knew this post would take an ugly turn to the "RIGHT"

THANKS STEELMAN for HUNTING tips!!!!

I will watch his scrapes this week/end as the rut looks close here. With WIND in mind I will throw him a curve rattle/grunt or 2.

Had 3 deer under stand Sun PM so i am confident in rubber Hipp boots & rain gear/scent control i been using.

Good luck later this week hunting you guys as it is ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JERRY

I would guess by the lack of daylight sign from this buck that he will continue to be a "phantom" during the rut and the window of opportunity he will give you may be a very small one. Judging purely on rack size he seems to be a 2 1/2 maybe a 3 1/2 year old. If i was a gambling man i would bet that his lack of an eye would make him "mature" for his age, more in tune with his other senses, and it may be the reason for his lack of daytime travel.

YESSSSSSSSS my 1st. VIDEO POST........

NO other buck reacts to surroundings like "JACK" @ nite on my video/picture collections of deer.

ENJOY

P.S LEGACY (ROB) Right on as usual with your 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 year old estimate. You got it with a head/horns shot ONLY....

Since he comes in left to right on the camera both nights......maybe you could walk his trail back(maybe the right side of the trail?) and bump him out of his bed. Since he appears to be a creature of habit.....you could pattern him with a stand between his bedding area and the camera. I don't think he will come to rattling because of his injury. This dude is secretive....but HEALTHY so he has to be feeding somewhere. Get some cameras on food sources if they aren't already. If you don't want to jump the deer.....keep moving the camera position back along his trail to plot his route.

yer gonna have to roll around with a skunk to fool that nose...But he does show some weakness by double taking the camera seems more courious than spooky, he should be a easy take with some GOOD doe pee ,slight grunts {soft} ...Im shure he lost his eye in a horn fight so overagressive buck sounds and ratteling might not be a good reminder to draw him in...

Chad,

GOOD thought, I did think about bumping him out of bedding. But decided NOT to because NO idea how he would travel (since he NEVER moves on camera in daylite) He seems to alert other wise to still hunt upon.

So i like steelman,s idea of a suttle rattle/grunt between bed & scrapes/rubs-food EARLY & LATE in coming days.

This will be a cool experience for me.

Jerry, do you ever look in the mirror and say, "wow, it's great to be me!" ? Geez, and I thought you only had fun bashing BTs and eating lobster!

Seriously, congrats on joining the Bow hunting addiction. I finally found this part of LOU and now I know where everyone is hiding.

Knowing you, you will get one-eyed jack. Hopefully with your new bow. It's incredible, no BOOM! Good Luck!

Thanks Vince,

Standing there naked in front of mirror changes all that very QUICKLY ! You know me very well, like i need MORE addictions in my life besides Bow hunting---kids activities---and trying to secure a spot on a Canadien fishing circuit. Best of luck to ya out west & localy hunting this year.

See ya soon i am sure of it...

Rebel first question I have, what trail cams are you using to get the videos? They are pretty good quality videos compared to others I have seen. A couple things I noticed in the video. 1 his glands on his rear legs are getting real dark 2 his neck does not seem to be swollen yet. So Im thinkin he is just starting to come into rut. With that said I still stand strong by saying right now is the best time to get him to come into some rattling and grunting. Put out some good pure buck urine with no additives and dont be shy using it. It will act as a cover scent and an attractant. It is their natural instinct to protect the area they have claimed as there own and if he wants it to stay his he is going to protect it injury or not. The next thing I will suggest is to ditch all the past grunt tubes you have used in the woods and get a new different one than you already have. If at any point you have used one in your arsenal and it spooked him even without you knowing he is going to remeber that call. Your first chance is gonna be your best chance so make sure the wind and conditions are perfect. This guy is a nice buck in anyones book. I take it your not in Sandy Creek after this guy. Its rifle season there. Iam willing to bet that 80 percent of my bucks I have taken have been the result of rattling and grunting. My brothers get mad at me cause they cant seem to make it work for them. Sometimes it is only once a season I get a buck to come in from rattling but thats is all it takes is one and from my experience it is when those glands on their back legs are turning black and the neck isnt swollen yet. If you bag this baby you are gonna have alot of mixed emotions. Excitement from all the hard work you put in and a point of sadness that its over. If it doesnt pan out he only gonna be that much bettter next year. Good luck and be sure to tell us the story as it unfolds.

This is a crazy approach that I knew a real horn addict applied to getting a totally nocternal slammer buck. In fact he has done it more that once.

Identify his core bedding area if possible, then go in and bump him out once to see where he was. If you know where he goes at night approach the bed from another direction and climb with a portable right in the bed area, but heres the catch, Do this at 1 or 2 AM. Sit there all night and wait till he comes back some time before daylight. He should bed somewhere in the immediate area. Even though the big guys are nocturnal, they have to get up and move around in that very small area within their bed area throughout the day.. During that time you just might have an encounter. Now I wouldn't do this, but it has been accomplished.