Russel 6/24 - strange...

A very strange day of fishing but after 13 days straight of work, I'll take it. Launched at 5:15Am. Ran out to 75FOW off Russell & headed out. Nice S wind, heavy overcast moving eastward. Bait started showing up about 85FOW and there was a lot of it out to 115FOW. Clouds moved off & it got real clear. (cooked my ears again) A few boats out. Looked like there were a couple way out.

6_24_07screen.jpg

Worked the area 90-130 quite heavily. 66F surf, 54F down 80. Some fleas are starting to show up.

Anyways got 7 (seven) of these.

6-24-07littleguys.jpg

What makes it strange, is that all 7 were caught as the line was popped free of the release. Didn’t matter which lure, which rigger or how much cable out. Happened at 95, 85, 75, 50, & 35. I've had hits once or twice popping the lines on an outing, but never this. BTW - where are the bigger ones?

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Anyone ever stop & jig out there???

Smaller fish like this sometimes don't pull the line free from the release. My guess is that you were probably pulling these fish around behind the balls for some time. Been there, done that.

Good question about jigging. I have not done it, and now that you mention it, I don' really know why! I would imagine your target with that technique would be lakers. If so, it might be worth a try..