opening day 11 point

bunnyasassyn

well my opening day started off like ususal i turn around and there is a guy sittin 100 yards from me..i didnt let it get me down though cuz i was in a stand an would be able to see the deer long before he could :rofl: he must of had ants in his pants cuz he couldnt sit still for more then 30 seconds!!! anyhow about 9 am i see what appeared to be a horse sneaking thru the woods an thought oh geat this is all i need till he lifted his head an i saw all the bone. he winded me an was standing straight on in the thick stuff so i put it on his neck an pulled the trigger an he took off. i was about to puke and cry all at the same time so i got down an walked over there and there he was under a pine tree kinda like an early christmas present :beer:

big_buck.jpg

bigbuck2.jpg

Good for you kid ive puked a few in my day and have had a few presents handed me too!

Now i dont know who is teaching the neck shot thing ,yes it is usually deadly (not always) and the Shot placement spot is more likley to move as he peaks around.

a few feet of mild brush near the deer ant gonna effect the bullet 99.999% of the time so if ya gota look at what I call the vitals go for it ..their is 20 to 30 lbs of good neck roast or hamburg in that neck not to mention the extra work of the taxadermist tho most pass throughs can be sewed and saved..I like my tree stand high for that reason with 30 ft plus being the norm if i dont have a short (canopy) to interfere with vision and shot. But them high stands can have their drawbacks in a 20 mph wind, and if ya fall ya ant gotta worry anout breaking nuttin cause ya probly wont survive..

So rethink the shot not that you havent,woulda,coulda,shoulda,have been 3 words passed down in the hunting family for generations on missed oppertuinitys ...

Ray K.

Great buck! I also was taught to shoot at the neck if you want to put the animal down in it's tracks. Either that, or it's a clean miss. I've yet to see a neck shot fail (at least as far as the deer going down IF they're hit), although I'm sure that there have been instances, like Ray says. I took a swing at a monster a couple years ago that was only presenting me with its neck. I missed him. But numerous does have dropped on the spot. Looks like you did a great job! I wouldn't worry about losing a little bit of meat off that big guy. His muscle filaments are probably the size of my index finger :D

Gotta love marinade!

Thanks everyone for the congrats! as for the shot placement i would have rather shot him right in the boiler room but he was facing straight on and had me pinned down so it was one of those now or never things. now he's in the freezer and his head is at the taxidermist, which by the way its a good thing i dont shoot many big bucks cuz that could get expensive real quick :o congrats to all who have slayed and good luck to those who havent :beer::yes: